High Fuel Usage - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ben_t is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a problem with high fuel usage.
I seem to be using twice as much fuel as I should be. Even though according to the OBC I am running quite efficient eg highway driving at 90km/h I am using approx 8l/100km.
I suspect it may be a fuel leak but when I get under the car for a look I can't smell any petrol.
Would a faulty oxygen sensor cause high fuel consumption (running rich?) but I don't appear to have high fuel comsumption according to the OBC?
Where is the sensor for the fuel comsumption? If I don't have high consumption then I could have a leak between the fuel tank and the sensor.

Any other ideas?
ben_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2002 Porsche C4S
Photos:
CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, bad O2 sensors could cause poor gas consumption. What mileage are you at now? If you're close to around 100k, the O2 sensors are about done. But the service engine soon light will come on. Bad O2 sensor symptoms include rough idling.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
There's no sensor for the consumption it's either calculated from the amount of fuel in the tank and the mileage or on later cars it's taken direct from the amount of time the fuel injectors opened for.
Only one way to test consumption accurately run the car out of fuel pour in a measured gallon and drive till it runs out again and check the mileage don't forget to take another can full for when you run out the 2nd time.
bad man working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Is it possible to do it the other way around? By filling the tank up (yourself) then drive it for say 100 Miles then fill it up again at the same station/same tilting position of the car facing the pumps. then devide miles by gallons consumed! I ran out of Gas once in Frankfurt/Germany (faulty gas gauge) cost me $50DM (police ticket) back then in 1970s-no Euros then.
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ben_t is an unknown quantity at this point
After manually checking my fuel consumption, it gave me 17l/100km. This is about 50% more then what the OBC tells me.

I drive a mixture of city and highway driving, however work is only 20 minutes from home so maybe the engine has not warmed up and hence is still running rich???

The problem is that the idling is fine, acceleration is fine but the fuel consumption is too high. Could this still be a faulty O2 sensor? (I thought the signs of a faulty O2 sensor is poor acceleration, rough idling and high fuel consumption?)
ben_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)