Hesitiation.mass Airflow Sensor Or Cam Pos Sensor? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scopefrfd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 98' 540i 6spd, 79K, Dinan chip, cold air intake, & supersprint exhaust.

Coming home I went to accelerate onto the highway,the car hesitated slightly and seemed down on power. I tried this repeatedly on the way home and there is a definite initial hic-cup when I put the pedal to the floor, full throttle....when I accelerate at say half throttle it is much smoother.

When I started the car for the ride home, the car would start but then stall after a few secs (No trouble when I first started it in the am). It did this a few times, until I started the car and rev it right from the get go, after a few rev's 4k or so it would hold an idle and steady but the car would not rev as quickly. The engine was fully warm as I drove to a store (20 mile ride) and was going home, so the engine was warm.

When I got home...I opened the hood and manually revved the engine and when I pushed on the throttle body cable lever..the engine definitely stumbled initially but then recovered. It seemed to rev much better...a lfew small puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust from some full throttle redline revs.

Is there a way to test the MAF or clean the sensor or the cam position sensor???? I hate to buy a part that I do not need or doesn't solve my problem.

thanks
dave
scopefrfd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM
5th Gear Member
 
billB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by scopefrfd@Apr 19 2005, 09:06 PM
I have a 98' 540i 6spd, 79K, Dinan chip, cold air intake, & supersprint exhaust.

Coming home I went to accelerate onto the highway,the car hesitated slightly and seemed down on power.* I tried this repeatedly on the way home and there is a definite initial hic-cup when I put the pedal to the floor, full throttle....when I accelerate at say half throttle it is much smoother.*

When I started the car for the ride home, the car would start but then stall after a few secs (No trouble when I first started it in the am).* It did this a few times, until I started the car and rev it right from the get go, after a few rev's 4k or so it would hold an idle and steady but the car would not rev as quickly.* The engine was fully warm as I drove to a store (20 mile ride) and was going home, so the engine was warm.*

When I got home...I opened the hood and manually revved the engine and when I pushed on the throttle body cable lever..the engine definitely stumbled initially but then recovered.* It seemed to rev much better...a lfew small puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust from some full throttle redline revs.*

Is there a way to test the MAF or clean the sensor or the cam position sensor????* I hate to buy a part that I do not need or doesn't solve my problem.

thanks
dave
[snapback]335120[/snapback]

For testing; get your hand on a diagnostic tool (code reader) or have it scanned by autozone-if any- I heard they do it for free...either way and once you get the codes then u decide on buying the parts..MAF is not cheap!!...good luck
billB is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scopefrfd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I do not know if any codes were triggered the check engine light never came on. But it is a good idea and I'll see if there were any codes set off.
scopefrfd is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member
 
tacroteau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tacroteau can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to tacroteau
Simple thing to check...Take a close look at any vacume lines, make shure they are in good shape specially anthing connected to the throttle body.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally posted by scopefrfd@Apr 19 2005, 10:53 PM
I do not know if any codes were triggered the check engine light never came on. But it is a good idea and I'll see if there were any codes set off.
[snapback]335151[/snapback]
tacroteau is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scopefrfd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well, the I started the 540 today and the car seems to have all its power back. No hesitation, no stalling nothing. Very frustrating
scopefrfd is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
4th Gear Member
 
Eric S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by scopefrfd@Apr 20 2005, 09:37 PM
Well, the I started the 540 today and the car seems to have all its power back. No hesitation, no stalling nothing. Very frustrating
[snapback]335750[/snapback]
If it is your MAF (or even the CPS), I highly recommend getcoolparts.com. They seem to have the lowest prices on these, and they shipped mine to me fast + free. If you have any questions, you can leave an e-mail atht eir web-site and the proprieter, Scott, will personally answer your question within a day or so. I found them to be very responsive.

Back to your question, I don't know how you'll solve the problem unless you can get a scannable trouble code to trip and save. Maybe DT can help?

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Moderator
 
Dirty_Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The engine control module can store codes that do not turn on the check engine lamp, so my advise is the same as Bill's. Get the codes read somehow and then report back what they are. With some codes I'm sure somebody here can point you in the right direction. Without them we are all in the dark.
DT

DT




Dirty_Tool is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scopefrfd is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm thinking that something got on the MAF sensor and caused the malfunction. When the car is turned off the computer puts the MAF through a self-clean mode that heats the sensor to a very high temp to burn off any impurities on the sensor. I'm hoping that was the case as the car is running beautifully.

This is my first BMW and I have to say the car does have its little electrical gremlins. The final stage resistor acted up 2x's in a week and then never did it again.
scopefrfd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light came on today camnipotent 3-Series (E36) 23 07-16-2014 09:51 PM
New Car - Few Problems, Any Help Appreciated. Sagan 3-Series (E36) 8 05-16-2004 09:28 PM
O2 sensor rawcar2long 3-Series (E36) 2 01-22-2004 10:56 AM
ABS sensor light fault.. Ski Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk 6 04-18-2003 08:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome