My wife needs a new car. We've had an old '86 Volvo 740 since '91. It was a good car (except for the transmission). As you can tell, we keep our cars until the wheels fall off. Well now we want to 'move up' to nicer but equally dependable car.
It took us almost a week of searching but we have finally narrowed it down to a 1998 BMW 528i with 98k miles. The problem we have is that we know very little about BMW's longevity, care, or quirks. Also, we hear they are expensive to repair.
So, I am turning to the forum for some sage advice and answers to a few questions:
1) Is 98k to many miles?
2) Are there any major things that tend to go bad after 100k miles?
3) Are there things we should look out for which particular to this model or engine?
4) Are there things we could do to extend the life of the powertrain?
5) Are there service things that should get done prior to us buying the car?
6) Can anyone recommend an extended warranty company that will cover this car?
7) Are there any extended warranty companies that we should avoid?
Sorry for all the questions but this is a 'big' scary step for us.
Thanks to all for your help.