Help! I don't want my car to overheat on me :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
(Thread Starter)
Help! I don't want my car to overheat on me :(

OK, I know I am a total NEWB for asking this, but here goes:

My car is giving me a "Coolant Level Low" warning for the last 2-3 days. My radiator was changed at about 80-90k by the prev. owner. The car currently has 141k on it... I guess I never noticed my coolant level decreasing on any other car I have owned since it was normally topped off during periodic oil changes... (I have had the car for 11,000 miles, and still have one maintenance bar left)...

From what I understand, I need to add half antifreeze and half water. Where do I add this? Directly into the radiotor? Or is there a Coolant Reservoir Tank?

Can someone circle the location that I need to add the coolant on the bellow picture and repost it?

Also, I am getting a warning about my brake linings... is there anyway I can know whether it is my front or back brakes?

Thanks a bunch!

Sportbike Rear Camera Systems! www.MotionalEyes.com

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Hello Jobman...I am too stupid to figure out how to circle anything, but look just slightly in front of and to the right of that blue part on your intake. That cap is the reservoir tank. There is a float inside that pops up when the coolant is at the correct level. Sometimes in older cars these are missing as they rot off. Top it off and keep an eye on it, you may have a small leak somewhere.

You need to pull the wheels to see which pads are thin. The sensor wire will have to be replaced as well.

Good website for pics....realOEM.com
#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If it were mine, I'd go ahead and get the maintenance done and have them change the antifreeze out. Its not really talked about (like oil is), but it really needs changed out every year or two. More than likely its thre front brakes, they take the bulk of the braking. I remember reading somewhere that you will change front brake pads 3 times for every one for the rear. This is probably someones rule of thumb rather than the actual, but anyways. My E34 525i cost me $2300 when I didnt pay attention to the coolant low light for less than a day. Get it fixed as soon as possible...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Is this it?

Thanks for the replies..., is this it:

Thanks!

#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
this guy needs help,surely no one can be that stupid? go buy a maintenace manual geezer,it ill pay for its self a hundred times over.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
wow... that's awfully nice of you to say. If I didn't need help, I would not be here... and I am about to sell the car, so no, I will not buy a $110 book to locate a cap under my by hood.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The cap that you point to in post 4 of this thread is in fact the radiator coolant expansion tank cap, and that is the one you should open and pour in coolant. Pour in the coolant until it rises to the "Kalt" line. Then run the car for 15-20 seconds. Then open up the cap again and fill it up to the Kalt line. Continue to do this until the line stays put.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythepie
this guy needs help,surely no one can be that stupid? go buy a maintenace manual geezer,it ill pay for its self a hundred times over.
It's better to look stupid, and not make a mistake, then be really stupid for not asking in the first place!

Can't blame a newbie for wanting to try DIY. We gotta start somewhere don't we?

As for your question, Jobman, to be really positive, know that coolant has a unique "sweet" smell, and it's a clear yellow/green, with water-consistency.
You can't miss it.
Oh, and if you're not adding much, water is just fine.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help guys!

#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Well put Cosmos, I am not so refined........jimmythepie did your moma drop you on your head and make you this mean?
#11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Looking in the owner's manual is overrated I guess.

#12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Jobman,
I remember when you bought that beauty - why are you selling her now? Just curious. What's on your car horizon? Good luck to you!

PS - Glad you got your answers! Feel free to P-M me if you have any other Q's you wondered about but didn't want to post.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
The cap that you point to in post 4 of this thread is in fact the radiator coolant expansion tank cap, and that is the one you should open and pour in coolant. Pour in the coolant until it rises to the "Kalt" line. Then run the car for 15-20 seconds. Then open up the cap again and fill it up to the Kalt line. Continue to do this until the line stays put.
M3 -
Speaking of being "manual-challenged", I finally figured out how to shoot video with my camera phone. So it can definitely do it. So you need to come back for another visit so I can capture that wonderful Dinan sound!

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
M3 -
Speaking of being "manual-challenged", I finally figured out how to shoot video with my camera phone. So it can definitely do it. So you need to come back for another visit so I can capture that wonderful Dinan sound!
LOL definitely will do. Possibility for the first weekend of February if you're up for it.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
M3 -

Ha-ha, M3UOND, I think Eric is politely asking for his car back

About me selling the car... I am starting to get cold feet as well.

1. My DSC and ABS only works 25% of the time, so I sledded my way to Staten Island last night... I got a $800 quote to fix it.

2. I also need to do my brakes, so thatís gonna be another $350 ($600 if I do the back as well).

3. There is a check engine light that has been on for 3 months now. My mechanic said it was not super urgent but in order to diagnose it better, he was have to take the intake apart. Have not gotten around to that yet.

Cash is not plenty at the moment... just spend about $1000 on my wife's ride . I am thinking of just fixing the brakes and putting the 540i up for $14k, maybe close at $13k. Plus, I was never a luxury car guy. Maybe I need a Porsche like Cosmo! Lucky Cosmo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)