Help guys, key wont turn. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Car: E39 Alpine White 528i, E34-Sold.
Photos:
Kai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Help guys, key wont turn.

Yesterday when I was leaving to come back to campus, I turned the key and it turned but nothing happened. Tried again and it paused a second and the started fine. Started it 4 times after that yesterday and it was fine. This morning getting ready to head out for class I start it, fine, I back up and start to turn and my wheel is locked.... So I turn it off and try to restart it and see if it unlocks, but now the key will not turn but a fraction of an inch and then it stops, so my car is sitting half way out of the spot and nothing I did helped....Help me guys.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
The steering lock may be keeping the key cylinder stuck. Try turning the wheel a tiny bit to unload the steering lock; the key cylinder may get released from the steering lock that way.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yup. WHat witeshark said: just wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with some muscle (to release the steering lock) and all the while try to turn the key.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Kai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud of
Garage
^First thing I did, I always lock the steering wheel when I get out of the car so that is my natural habit these days.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
In that case, I am all out of ideas
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
I have no clue what it is at this point. Maybe the switch is bad, maybe it isn't recognizing the key...I don't know. But in any case, I pulled the piece around the shifter off and pulled the release to get it into neutral so it could get up on the tow truck, so it is at the shop and will be looked at tomorrow. $55 for under a mile transport from my dorm to the shop... ridiculous. Hopefully this bill wont end up being one that gets stared at for an hour trying to figure out how it is possibly that high.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
Ok guys, the tumblers were worn, so they called a BMW dealership close by and they said they would not order the part until they received a copy of my license and registration....to ensure the shop is not trying to steal my car.... the shop is bonded up to $1,000,000 dollars, and it is illegal to even request personal information as far as I know. So the deal is they want my information to send me stuff and try to get me over there and paying them. This is stupid. My dad has to send a copy of his license, since his name is on the registration, and the registration has to be hand delivered because it has some oily stuff on it and it cannot be faxed. The guy is calling another BMW place and seeing if they try the same bull crap. I hate dealerships with a passion, I just want my car fixed. I have to walk 1/4 a mile to and from classes, eating, meetings, and everything else because of this, and I cannot go home for my grandmother's 90th birthday all because they have to play their retarded little games. They want independent shops out of the picture completely. I am disgusted at the moment.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
This is standard procedure and every dealership will ask for teh same thing. It is the same with keys. I am actually glad they do it. Your dad should be able to just take a digital picture of the registration and then print/fax.

Good luck,

- Daniel
Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
It shouldn't need to be done with a $1,000,000 bonded shop though should it. If I was just some guy trying to order it maybe.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
Well turns out I was correct. They did more "looking into it" and none of my personal information is needed whatsoever, of course this is a revelation that came after I had a little discussion with the parts department at the dealership. It is being made in New Jersey and should be here tomorrow, so hopefully it will be fixed by noon Friday, that is my hope at least.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Cool, almost sorted!

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
At least I hope so! Don't want one of those things where you get one fixed and something else pops up magically.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Sounds like some sort of Greek tragedy. Hopefully it will all be sorted out soon but boy does that suck.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
I'm hoping it is too. Maybe the part will be here tomorrow like they said. I think that one day to make and ship a part from NJ to NC is wishful thinking, but if they can pull it off then more power to them.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bimmerspeed is on a distinguished road
So how much was the repair?

I had a similar problem last year during xmas. When I tried turning my car on one morning the key would not go past position one. I took the whole assembly out until I was left with the steering column. I found broken pieces inside the housing, so I ordered a new housing and a tumbler since I already had my hands dirty.

The stealership in California ONLY asked for the registration, the guy said they mainly ask for it so they can get the VIN# and reference their paper work when making the new part. The part is a made to order part and its not returnable, so I had no problem with them double checking, besides if there was a screw up I would have to wait longer.

Well I am glad you got it all sorted out. I have a post in bimmerforums with pictures of when I took everything out.
bimmerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)