BMW Werkz banner

HELP! Blower motor stopped working

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  trevis 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 98 e39 540i 6 spd. The blower motor inexplicably stopped during the day, in between running errands. The fan was working properly, A/c was blowing cold, no funny noises whatsoever. I get back into the car turn on the ignition and bam, nothing. All the lights in the HVAC display signify the fan should be working.

I've tried auto and manual modes with no luck. I've checked the big fuses, behind the glove box, fuse 75 and 76. The fuses are both good. I noticed one of the fuses I'm getting power to and from the fuse, the wires are both red. The other fuse there is no power to and from the fuse when the ignition is on and the engine is not running, so I jumped power to the wires and the electric radiator fan came on. When I start the car and turn on the a/c, I get a faint glow out of my test light. I cannot tell which fuse this is, 75 or 76. The wire colors are black on one side and red and green stripe? on the other side.

I've checked all the fuses in the trunk and they all tested out ok. It doesn't seem logical to me that the blower would just crap out without warning. I'm hoping there's a relay somewhere. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have the same problem with my '98 528. It started about a month ago. The blower will just stop working. Sometimes it's right off the bat. Other times it's after it's been working for several minutes. The longest the blower has shutdown is about two minutes. Usually it resumes after about 45 seconds. But it is troubling. Especially with the Memphis heat! If anyone has any prior experience with this issue, it would be appreciated!

#3 ·
:welcome to both you guys. I hope you guys stick around.

My A/C has been very funky lately too. I had the sound of metal clining when I turned on my AC. It made my nice sounding 528i sound like a 100 year old truck. My Dad said it had something to do with a washer or barring... my car also over heated a few times but I think that was just the gauges, after the "over heating" stopped everything worked like magic back to normal.

#6 ·
Could there be a sensor on the blower motor itself the sences when it's getting too hot and shuts it down to prevent fire? Maybe if you could access the fins or electrical componants inside the blower with air pressure and blow the dust/debris out that might do the trick(?).

#7 ·
So what was the solution to this problem?

Ted

Originally posted by scopefrfd@Jun 28 2004, 01:46 PM
Hi,

I have a 98 e39 540i 6 spd. The blower motor inexplicably stopped during the day, in between running errands. The fan was working properly, A/c was blowing cold, no funny noises whatsoever. I get back into the car turn on the ignition and bam, nothing. All the lights in the HVAC display signify the fan should be working.

I've tried auto and manual modes with no luck. I've checked the big fuses, behind the glove box, fuse 75 and 76. The fuses are both good. I noticed one of the fuses I'm getting power to and from the fuse, the wires are both red. The other fuse there is no power to and from the fuse when the ignition is on and the engine is not running, so I jumped power to the wires and the electric radiator fan came on. When I start the car and turn on the a/c, I get a faint glow out of my test light. I cannot tell which fuse this is, 75 or 76. The wire colors are black on one side and red and green stripe? on the other side.

I've checked all the fuses in the trunk and they all tested out ok. It doesn't seem logical to me that the blower would just crap out without warning. I'm hoping there's a relay somewhere. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
[snapback]137161[/snapback]​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.