BMW Werkz banner

HELP! Annoying window rattle

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wyomingj 
#1 ·
I have an extremely annoying rattle in my driver's side window (at least that is what I think it is). When I hear the rattle I can press hard enough on the window to make it stop, but as soon as I let go it starts again. I have taken it to the dealership 5 times with no success. They keep telling me it is the door seals, which they have already replaced. Is there any chain of command at BMW where I can hopefully get this resolved? Can I take it to another shop without voiding the warrenty if BMW is unable to fix it (I don't care about the money at this point)? Is there a way to terminate a lease early for cause? I just don't see any reason to continue paying for the privledge of having a miserable car. Dealership has been zero help so far.

#4 ·
Originally posted by wyomingj@Jul 27 2004, 12:57 AM
I have an extremely annoying rattle in my driver's side window (at least that is what I think it is). When I hear the rattle I can press hard enough on the window to make it stop, but as soon as I let go it starts again. I have taken it to the dealership 5 times with no success. They keep telling me it is the door seals, which they have already replaced. Is there any chain of command at BMW where I can hopefully get this resolved? Can I take it to another shop without voiding the warrenty if BMW is unable to fix it (I don't care about the money at this point)? Is there a way to terminate a lease early for cause? I just don't see any reason to continue paying for the privledge of having a miserable car. Dealership has been zero help so far.
Yup, it's the door seals. My 2004 530 is making "creeking" noises around the window/door seals. It sounds like I'm inside an old wooden sail ship. When I drive with the windows slightly cracked, there's no noise. It happens especially when going over speed bums or dips in the road. It's a defective design by BMW. There are two rubber seals that meet around the windows. I've taken my car into the dealership 5 times as well and all they do is spray a silicone lubricant but the noise comes back after a couple of days and it gets worse! I read somewhere in this forum that a replacement of the seals is only temporary. It's so embarrasing because others can hear it. It definitely does not make BMW look good. I've already told many of my friends, co-workers, neighbors, you name it, NOT to buy the new 2004 5 series BMW until they get all these little defects fixed.

I feel your frustration.

#5 ·
I had a ticking noise in my door. A creaking is from the door seals, but the ticking I had was actually do to a need for some lubricant on the door stop (that plastic thing on othe front of the door that slides in and out of the door when you open and close it. At the back of it (on the firewall side) there is a hinge behind the rubber grommet that surrounds it. I lubed that and the ticking was gone. The noise I had didn't sound like it was coming from there, but it was . . . Good luck.

#6 ·
After bringing it back to the dealer again they finally located the problem. The problem is with a loose bolt in the door. They "fixed" it once, but it returned after two days. I am now pursuing legal action as BMW has absolutley exhausted all good will with me. Fortunately I live in Louisiana where redhibition laws make it fairly easy to correct these sorts of problems with manufacturers that believe they can get away with anything. Will never buy a BMW again, will always tell everyone what horrible service they have.

Called BMW-NA several times to try and get this situation corrected without legal action never got anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.