Help! 540i phone info. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yrshaik is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Help! 540i phone info.

I recently replaced my 98 528i with a 98 540i. The new car's original phone was missing and an unknown Nokia cradle was mounted in it's place in the centre console. Being a purist, I removed the ugly cradle and kit and searched for the original part. The local BMW dealer was not an option due to the ridiculous price. (Recently spent almost R4000 on a maf).

I aquired a handset, module and connectors from a scrap dealer who did not know what car it belonged to. Since the size looked right and connectors matched my car, I took it.

After installation the following happened. Switching on from either the handset or the dash switch causes the handset to light up briefly with a blank screen. The dash display says INSERT CARD for a moment and then nothing. I put in a sim with the same result except for PLEASE WAIT displayed briefly on dash display, then nothing. Tried the sim reader in the boot with same result.

I noticed the module dated 1999 and my car is a 98 model. Could this be the problem. Any info would be appreciated.

If all else fails, I'm still happier with a non functional original phone than the ugly cradle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
i really doubt that 99 module my be a problem. there really were no changes between 97 and 99, so everything should be plug and play.

maybe one of the connectors is bad, or the phone is for the wrong car?

purist or not, i would recommend installing bluetooth in your car, this way you can connect your cellular phone thorugh your speakers wirelessly and talk like that.

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ yeah I removed my incar phone in the six and going to install bluetooth in both the six and seven. I recommend it. Most new phones come with bluetooth.

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
bluetooth in a 6er just seems.... idk strange.

That said, theres any manner of ways to do it. Some of the nicer aftermarket HUs actually have very good OBEX support.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
n00b

yrshaik is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks 4 the input guys. The scrap dealer said that I could return the unit if it did not work. He has a few others which I want to try.
I suppose bluetooth is also an option.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 PM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
^ yup and it isn't to hard to do!

I am Captain Obvious
#7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Neutral Member

GSXRYDER is on a distinguished road
99 540i

I got this 540i today and it has phone indicators on the steering wheel and on the IP. I asked the previous owner and they didn't have any idea how to hook up the phone. In looking at this thread it seems as if there is a cell phone somewhere on the car...the previous owner didn't know about it...is this something I need to find/order. Or can I use my current cell with that system?

TY
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 PM

^ just go with a bluetooth system they you can use your current bluetooth enabled phone...

I am Captain Obvious
#9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
n00b

bradhouser is on a distinguished road
Most factory phones of that era were the old analog type, which is not going to work anymore. The cell companies were given permission to shut off analog service last month. Don't bother installing any phones that are not digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)