BMW Werkz banner

Help! 540 poor idle and maf issues.

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AlpineSixAndSeven 
#1 ·
I recently changed my 528 for a '98 540. The car performed perfectly until 2 weeks ago when the car occasionaly stalled when comming to a stop. A few days later it did not idle at all. I cleaned out the icv and all seemed well again except for an occasional hesitation when accellarating hard. But idle fault is back! The car now peforms better when maf is unplugged! The car picks up speed like it never did. But occasional poor idle. Could the maf be faulty?

#2 ·
Definitely. It's fairly common for them to die on our cars.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.
I removed the maf a little while ago and attempted to clean it with a cotton swab and a little piece of the "hot film" came away! It's definately destroyed now.

I did querry the price of a maf at a local dealer (Pretoria, South Africa) earlier this week and was glad that I was sitting down at the time! Almost R4000-00!
It's going to hurt my wallet for sure!

But I can't understand why the car performs so much better with the maf unplugged. It's a real beast now.

#4 ·
it might have been going bad for awhile... but check around other sites you probably can get it cheeper...

#5 ·
I think there are also a couple of MAF's that are compatible by other manufacturers...someone's going to have to chime in on this one.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Smoothly running 540 ftw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.