HELP!! 530d Turbo Failure or Not??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 06:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hyeung is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
HELP! I need some quick advice on this subject.

We have a 530d 2000 model (30k miles only) which has shown some major problems recently. The symptoms are as follows:

Full foot on the accelerator and literally nothing happens!! There doesn’t seem to be any power what so ever?? You do see the revs trying to build up but ever so slowly. It takes about 20-30 secs before it reaches 3k. But once it goes above 3k rpm the power seems to surge back into life. Basically, when we're under 3k rpm nothing really happens.
I really need to keep the revs in the 3k range, otherwise the car really struggles to get anywhere.
Also during a cold start it sometimes really struggles to rev when idle.
Full foot on gas and it sits at 1100rpm.....eventually it slowly revs up the full range.

Anyways, the car is currently at the dealership and it’s taken them the whole day to work out what’s wrong. They now come back and mention it needs a new turbo!
Based on the symptoms, can anyone verify the dealer’s recommendations of a new turbo?
It’s strange since I phoned early today and they tell me the turbo is fine, and are currently testing the MAF meter. I call again and they are still trying to fine the fault. At the end of the day they call and leave a message saying it needs a new turbo.

It just sounds as if they cant really pin point the fault and end up suggesting the turbo needs replacing. I just can’t believe this as the car has recently had a service at the same dealership. After this service we haven’t been using the car for almost 2 weeks (away in holiday), but when we come back and start using the car it fails!

I'm frighten to call them back to find what the cost would be involved.
Unfortunately I’m not knowledgeable in cars and would like some advice on what you think the dealer is saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
ohh how completely WRONG your dealership is. Turbos fail over time, they do NOT fail overnight. When turbos begin to fail, you will notice excessive smoke from the exhaust (oil burning), a loss in boost pressure (if a boost gauge is installed) and a loss in power. To keep a long story short, you do not need a new turbo. You have a electronic issue. I think they need to focus back on the MAF meter. Could also be a camshaft position sensor. There are just too many possibilities but a bad turbo is not one of them (based upon your information).

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
They tried swapping the MAF meter and this had no effect. Still giving the same loss in power. So cant be the MAF meter...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
don't you have a warranty ?

obd 2 scanner migh be helpful in finding what is wrong

#5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 04:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Its a 2000 model, so over the 3 years.....no warranty
#6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
sorry... i though bmw had 5 yr warranty

#7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear Member

well if it's not the MAF, it's something else. If the turbo was gone the power loss would be linear across the rpm range. Sounds like you might need to find another dealer. A competent dealership should be able to diagnose your problem.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:26 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Am i right in saying that even if the turbo was dead and gone.....Surely the car should still be able to drive off without any issues....wont be as quick but should still be able to shift itself within the 1-3krpm range? Its a 3 litre engine...
At the moment the symptoms are that it barely moves when you have full gas within the 1-3k rpm range.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear Member

Michael@EuroPersona is an unknown quantity at this point
To tell you the truth its a Diesel engine, so I dont know much about it, But I do Know that diesel have turbos for a reason.. To get going easier.. So the turbo MIGHT be the problem..

So I dont agree or disagree with anyones statements.. I would have the dealership do the work, And if it doesnt fix the problem, but first make sure they will reimbuse you if thats not the problem.. also By telling them that you might show that you know a thing or 2 and MAYBE they might actually do a correct diagnosis.. The dealership your going to is a BMW dealership right?

Im not a BMW dealership, but If I fix someones car and it doesnt work right I continue to work on it until its fixed, and free of any additional charges.. I know not all shops are like this, but thats how I work!

**deleted** We do not allow commercial activity from non supporting vendors.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear Member

yes hyeung it would still be able to accelerate and from what you described it won't. It's not the turbo. Any competent technician (especially a BMW trained one) could tell you that.
Here's some food for thought. I have a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 diesel and on very cold mornings (35 and below) there is a bypass valve that will allow the boost pressure to bleed off rather than fill the engine. This is done to avoid damaging a cold diesel engine. Diesels run very cold temps (compared to gasoline engines) and take forever to reach a normal operating temp on a cold day. The boost is bypassed while warming so as not to load the engine while cold. I can pull out of the driveway and for a couple miles there is no boost. I putt along and just as I reach the heavy traffic the engine has warmed and now the boost will build. The point is, your engine still makes power regardless of turbo boost. If the turbo was not making boost you should still be able to accelerate. Granted, it will not accelerate near what it does with boost but it will accelerate. Something is going on with your car relating to load sensing. I say this because once it reaches 3k it runs fine. It could be a cam sensor, a boost reference sensor etc. Honestly, with my years as a bmw tech, I never came across a bmw diesel and that's probably the problem with your dealership. However, it's not rocket science especially if you have the car in front of you. They should be able to diagnose the problem and fix it. Diesels are actually quite simple and you don't have an ignition system so that's one less thing to worry about. All that you need with a diesel is air and fuel. Good luck.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
-----------

#11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Just an update on the problem.

It has now been resolved. The dealer has fitted a new turbo and all seems to be good again. The good thing is that BMW GB is paying 100% on the parts. So it turns out i only need to pay £282 for the labour costs. Which isnt bad seeing the car is out of the warranty period.

Thanks again for everyones input......
#12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear Member

there must be something missing here... from what your symptoms were, a turbo would not cause, unless I misunderstood you.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

Pre-Purchase Inspections
-----------

#13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
If you run a turbo'ed car hard for a while and just park it till it cools down without letting the car idle(too cool the turbo) doesn't the turbo freeze up used: from over heating the turbo and bearings??? this happend to my friends supra(was running 13psi boost) he raced around then parked it without letting the turbo cool and the turbo said you no play no more bye bye and it died

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)