Hello all, possible new owner, '91 525i, what to look out for? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ChrisRam is on a distinguished road
Hello all, possible new owner, '91 525i, what to look out for?

Hello all, my uncle is the second owner of a '91 525i. He got into a little drinking and driving trouble and he will not need this car for 10 years or so. I am thinking about purchasing it for a drive around town toy. If you are know a bit on what to look out for on these cars it will help me with my purchasing decision.

A few months before the pull over we will call it the car had a oil/water mix and the hard gasket(s) were replaced and both systems cleaned out. The car has been driven 4 or 5 times since then and the pull over happened. The car has not moved in a year and a half.

I have driven the car a couple of times since he purchased it four years ago. It has around 97K miles but the body looks like it was just driven off the show room floor. It is white with tan leather interior that is perfect except for the drivers seat which has two 3 inch long tears in it. I would want to get that replaced if I did purchase the car.

The Bad--

Once while driving it the lights went off at night, a few seconds later they came back on and everything was find. I am sure on occasion my wife will be driving it so I will want to have that taken care right away, whatever the problem may be.

There is a heat shield under the car that rattles from time to time but I have never been under the car to take a look at it although I know it is right under the front part of the cabin.

If you guys know of anything I should look into before spending 1800 dollars on it please let me know. If I purchase the car I am sure I will be on these boards quite a bit doing little things like converting the audio system over to a PC (since I work in the PC industry) and may even go as far as doing some engine mods. My last "toy" car ended up with a Formula Atlantic engine in it and hit 155 on a highway ('86 MR2).

Your help is appreciated,

Chris
Hardware Editor, Avault.com
ChrisRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRam
He got into a little drinking and driving trouble and he will not need this car for 10 years or so.
oops...

to the forums...

They are pretty solid cars overall. You have the better motor (M50 compared to 89-90's M20) so you dont have to worry about the timing belt (M50's chain driven) every 50K or so. The oil/water mix may be a head gasket failure due to a warped head as they are aluminum and if the motor has ever been hot for a period of time it'll warp and be costly (ask me and my loan officer how we both know this). Check for the 55-60 shimmy in the front end which is typical on a car that hasnt been maintained. Depending on what surface the car has been sitting on (concrete/grass/etc.) check the tires for cracking, dry rot, etc. Get rid of the gas thats in there, its bad. If taken care of, you can make this car go about 400K before having to switch motors

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmmm...
well the engine should be good to go as long as the are good and the head was checked for warps and cracks. Is it an auto or a manual? The GM auto tranny tends to go out under 150,000 miles.

The rattling under the car could be a loose exhaust hanger rattling against the heatsheild above it. The headlights switching off could either be a wierd idle problem, an LKM (easy swap for a rebuilt one @ $100), or could be a gremlin which will never show it's face again. It's hard to diagnose that one.

Down the road, you will find that the upper control arms will cause the car to shimmy at around 55 - 65 mph. It will feel like an unbalanced tire / the steering wheel will sort of "shimmy" too.

If you care about the interior, sunlight will completely destroy the rear door panels. (The tight wrapped vynil will pull and shrink off of it's backing).
Overall, not many HUGE things go wrong with these. I'll always be on these boards so if you have any other questions you can PM me or reply to this.

Good luck.
BTW: 1800 is a STEAL if it really only does have 97k on her!!

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)