BMW Werkz banner

headlight replacement lesson needed for 528i

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Teh Prof 
#1 ·
OK.. I've tried cleaning up the scratchy headlight lenses on my 98 528i but they seem to just go back to their ugly ways. I'm considering replacing them but after reading so much about this process on this forum, I must admit I'm very confused. xenons, hid, angel eyes, etc... where's a guy to start in knowing my options, costs, differences, how to replace the actual light etc. Anyone have some pics of their replacements and/ or experiences w/ this process from some other year than 2004? Any good tips on the actual replacement process for a diy'er? Any brands to steer clear of? Any brands you'd recommend? Cost info?

Oh well... maybe there's a school in which I can enroll. :)

Any help, or direction here, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
RR

#2 ·
^ lol Deanza college has a good auto program

what do you wish to acheve looks wise....?

#3 ·
Simple. Go to jlevisw.com, buy their p39's with xenon option, and installation is fairly straightforward.

#4 ·
It also comes down to how much money you want to spent. I bought my whole set from bavauto.com... Yes, they were expensive but I haven't had any problems, it was a perfect fit, no leaks, etc.

M3UOND: Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you having problems with your lights? Is it the voltage regulator?? I think that's what's called. I think you mentioned you're going on your third set?

LOS

#5 ·
LOS said:
It also comes down to how much money you want to spent. I bought my whole set from bavauto.com... Yes, they were expensive but I haven't had any problems, it was a perfect fit, no leaks, etc.

M3UOND: Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you having problems with your lights? Is it the voltage regulator?? I think that's what's called. I think you mentioned you're going on your third set?

LOS
You must be thinking of someone else. It is, however, true that ballasts and rings tend to go out. I've never had a ballast fail, but I've had several rings fail, and in fact have a dim one right now.

#6 ·
Got it! Thanks for the clarification Sr.

Going back to the original topic, prices range from $350 to $1500 for the set depending on the options. If you want your lights to look like the 2001-2003, expect to spend up to $1500. They're similar to M3's pic above. Also, do a search on this forum under "headlights".

LOS

#8 ·
dannyb said:
what pic? am i the only one not seeing this?
I assume he means my signature.

And by the way, mine were el cheapo compared to what LOS is quoting.

#10 ·
I probably should just go ahead and have an admin change my name. That would be the second name change...started out as 528UOND.

#12 ·
dannyb said:
why not TehProf?
I would likely put in a space, but why not indeed?

#14 ·
Great pics guys. I spoke w/ the dealer and they used my vin # to tell me xenons were not an option for my car. Said oem lights were $400 a piece. I just want to get rid of the smoky/scratchy/hazy lenses and get some decent light on the road when on lowbeams. Thanks for the help.

#15 ·
Umm dude the dealer has no idea what he's talking about. Of course xenons are possible for your car.

#16 ·
I agree with TehProf... ha ha. The dealer doesn't offer headlight upgrades. You get what the car came with!
Did you check bavauto.com? At least get an idea... They have a pic. There is a big difference in brightness.
I'm looking to add HID'S to my 840ci. I was told about $500 including installation which is not bad. I'm holding on for now after replacing the bulbs with SilverStars. Better brightness but not the same as HID!

LOS

#17 ·
yeah dealer doesn't upgrade. they just know whats in there computer most the time... It isn't to hard to change them out. there are lots of pages to show you how to do it your self..... what are you looking to gain? visablity i assume.. did you want halos/angel eyes. or anything else?

#18 ·
Again.. I confess my ignorance at this point when it comes to which is which. I've seen the halo lights and can only assume they are a very different look but I don't know if there's a particular function they provide compared to regular lights. I don't even know if I've seen or heard of halos. I"m doing my research but most pages only advertise the product with not much explanation as to what the product does for the car. I did find a sight that walks you thru the process of changing out the units so that's cool when I decide what to purchase.
Again... thanks.

#19 ·
Angel eyes / halos are to improve the look of the car..... thats pretty much it....

#20 ·
Look at my sig. Those are "halos" or "Angel Eyes" or "DDE's."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.