Had Accident, But No Car Accident Response? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
(Thread Starter)
I am very sorry to report that I was in an accident this evening. I am physically untouched--BMW's really are built very strongly. I was travelling in the right-hand lane of three lanes of traffic when a Ford E-250 van pulled out in front of me. I braked hard, but I was literally about ten feet away from him when he came shooting out of nowhere. I hit him going somewhere between 15-25 mph. He was also unharmed in the accident. The officer on the scene immediately diagnosed the accident to be entirely his fault. My car is not in good shape. Pictures follow.

What troubles me afterwards is that the airbag did not deploy, and many of the things that I have heard bmw's do in accidents did not happen. No safety lights came on automatically, the doors stayed locked, etc. As you can see from the pictures, the crash was definitely bad enough to make these things happen. Should I be thinking about suing BMW???

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, make America a better place, sue ...

I was about to throw in the rest of my hateful reply, but I think I'm gonna hold off ...

#3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:56 PM
n00b

mdimbler is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sorry to hear about the accident, and glad you are ok.

My thoughts:

From my 97 540 owner's manual: "Deceleration sensors continuously
monitor the physical forces acting upon the vehicle. The system responds to the extreme deceleration rates associated with high-intensity impacts - of the kind in which the safety belts alone might not be able to provide adequate protection."

So the computer probably determined that the accident did not require anything more than seat belts to keep you safe... It was obviously right, as you said you came out without injury.

As far as the doors not unlocking, they will only unlock if you used the central locking button to lock the doors. Perhaps you locked the door manually, or didn't lock the doors at all?

I don't know why the hazard lights did not come on... perhaps they are linked somehow to the airbags, and only come on if the airbag deploys?

And the interior lights are supposed to come on as well. Perhaps also linked to the airbags, or maybe they did come on and it was still light enough outside that you didn't notice?

Anyway, I would be grateful that the car protected me. You said yourself that "I am physically untouched--BMW's really are built very strongly." I would agree with you. Your car did it's job to protect you. Perhaps if you had been injured, you would have a case against BMW for not deploying the airbags properly. But, you seem to be ok, and now it is up to the insurance companies to work out getting your car replaced.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 PM
n00b

tbhtjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tbhtjd
Just as stated above: the computer probably determined you did not need the air bags. It obviously made the right decision. Air bags can cause injury and are really a last resort measure to save your life. Be glad you're alright and talk to your dealership about the lights and stuff.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Neutral Member

africanrider is on a distinguished road
Hey there M3UOND, to sue or not to sue, completely your prerogative - review the facts and review the contract you made explicitly and implicitly with BMW by paying money (consideration) for your vehicle.

You held up your end of the contract when you made the purchase and in effect certain promises were made with respect to the performance of your car. Determine if all parties to the transaction met their end of the deal then determine your course of action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)