Going Catalist Free - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hownowevilcow is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi-
New to the forum but have read many old posts.
Looking at picking up a 99 or 00 540 6-speed "family car" to replace my 2 seater.
Most curious what problems the 4.4 has if run catalist free. I live where emissions are not checked- not that I want to beltch greenhouse gasses everywhere but just curious if it can be done w/o an engine light or O2 sensor problem.
Also curious about maintance intrival for timing chain- does it need to be done or is it a lifetime chain?
Any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated- I will be making my purchase in the next 2 months or so.

Thanks

1998 540i
Dinan stage 1
CAI
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 PM
5th Gear Member

'89 635 csi is an unknown quantity at this point
Going catalist free=
The car needs the back pressure!

Dave G.
'89 635csi
'86 528e - Sold
'84 528e - Soon to be 533i
'96 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
OO=[][]=OO
#3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

The Deuce is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by '89 635 csi@Mar 7 2005, 11:20 PM
Going catalist free=
[snapback]306071[/snapback]
A 4.0 v8 should be ok without a cat.

You will run leaner without one, so get the a/f checked and tune the car for such modifications. Prepare for it to be louder as well, since the cats do work as additional mufflers as well.

2002 BMW 530i
1997 Ford Mustang GT
1995 Honda VFR 750 (For Sale)
1964.5 Ford Mustang
#4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:19 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Huge EPA fine. I did it outside the US with straight pipe to safe the cat because they didn't sell unleaded gas over there- on 86 325is manual. Outcome? Got extra MPG; more power; very aggressive sound; sounded like GTO but with check engine light.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I suspected the O2 would give a problem. I'm in FL so there is really no worries about fines/inspection when it comes to the exhaust.
Backpressure for a V-8? Had never suspected that was an issue (maybe for a 4 banger).
Does anyone make a "cheater" that connects to the O2 and tells it everything is OK?
Thanks for the replies

1998 540i
Dinan stage 1
CAI
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWL2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWL2
Quote:
Originally posted by Hownowevilcow@Mar 8 2005, 12:37 AM
I suspected the O2 would give a problem. I'm in FL so there is really no worries about fines/inspection when it comes to the exhaust.
Backpressure for a V-8? Had never suspected that was an issue (maybe for a 4 banger).
Does anyone make a "cheater" that connects to the O2 and tells it everything is OK?
Thanks for the replies
[snapback]306203[/snapback]

You can find O2 simulators if you shop around. You might want to call Active Autowerke and see what they say. That is where I got my simulators for my M3, dont know if they would be the same or not.

Motovated Motorsport Forums
http://www.motovatedcc.com
#7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
n00b

2MuchTorque is an unknown quantity at this point
When I read your post something just didn't sit right with me. After consideration I now know what it is – you are one of those individuals who believe that they are above the law.

Emission standards in the US serve a valuable purpose. Without them we would undoubtedly have air quality problems similar to places where there are no standards.

Ethics – it is what we do when no one is looking.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the lead on the simulator BMW-

Torque- When I read your post something just didn't sit right with me. After consideration I now know what it is- you are one of those jerks who spouts your opinion where it is neither needed or wanted.
If I decide to take off my cat, that's up to me- not you.

1998 540i
Dinan stage 1
CAI
#9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
n00b

boboot3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hownowevilcow@Mar 8 2005, 04:04 PM

Torque- When I read your post something just didn't sit right with me. After consideration I now know what it is- you are one of those jerks who spouts your opinion where it is neither needed or wanted.
[snapback]306586[/snapback]
[COLOR=red]Land of the free !!!
#10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:53 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Hownowevilcow@Mar 8 2005, 05:04 PM

[snapback]306586[/snapback]
Take it easy cowboy....I am not so sure if you going to get everyone on this planet to AGREE and/or DISAGREE with you on this topic. As you know there are two opposite camps with equal forces to argue this for many years to come.
A. Torque is right on the legal issue; he stated his opinion over EPA rules and pollution issues. I sincerely mentioned the hefty fines; just in case you didn't know.
B. Boboots3's land of the free better ends when and where our living conditions get contaminated by pollutants. Needless to say It is very bad just the way it is.
C. conversely in the land of freedom we also have the right to do whatever pleases us. Run with cat or catless is our choice and our call..who is going to say: no we can't? I have no desire no place no time to argue for/against it.

Now you joined us yesterday with a good topic asking for our comments/opinions; our members did their best to help you out with sincere replies; but to get on with personal attacks too early too soon and start name calling our members? Well I don't think this forum gives that much room for personal attacks...Again it is your call.....Our call? PIECE we are family here..............

Welcome to our family and please accept our best regards!
Billb
#11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, but he started it.
No worries-
Would still like to know about the timing chain- does it have to be periodically swapped or is it a long term chain. What costs associated (and can I do it myself)?

1998 540i
Dinan stage 1
CAI
#12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:11 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
timing chains = long long long time of use. If need to be replaced, pain in the ass, pay someone else

#13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:34 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Mar 9 2005, 12:11 AM
timing chains = long long long time of use. If need to be replaced, pain in the ass, pay someone else
[snapback]306907[/snapback]
yep that long most likely they outlast their own engines
#14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:14 AM
n00b

got_hp? is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by '89 635 csi@Mar 7 2005, 11:20 PM
Going catalist free=
[snapback]306071[/snapback]

absolutely false.........do you see cats on race cars?

no engine "needs back pressure" at all..........back pressure is an enemy to efficiency and power.

almost all cars will gain power simply by replacing the cat with a piece of straight pipe.
rarely, some cars can lose some lowend power with a high flow exhaust/no cat, but that is because the camshaft and computer are designed/tuned to compensate for the stock level of backpressure. when you change that, the setup is no longer optimal. new tuning would be needed.

just make sure youre ok with the sound of the car with the cat removed......it can really change the tone of your engine, and you *may* experience some popping sounds during decel after a full throttle acceleration.

95 TransAm Red
forged 383ci stroker
500hp naturally aspirated
nitrous coming soon

daily driver
2000 BMW 740IL Black
#15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
oh no...... leave the cats on. i don't care about the air as much, as i do my fair share of polutting, but your gonna run into more problems that you want by taking the cats off. first with out a doubt the engine light WILL come on unless you get some sort of compensator.
it is gonna be loud, really loud. and your not going to gain enough power to really notice anything. people don't really understand that today's cats are nothing like the old ones that actuall did create a lot of back pressure. if it is the sound your after you can get mufflers that get a good sound but aren't too loud. i don't remeber the brand but there is one that has duel outlets and only one goes through the muffler or something like that. i drove a car with one and it sounded similar to an M5 and it was a 540 sport. just cutting of the cats is just such a hillbilly trick. if you feel the need to do so get a beat up camaro and do it.

and by the way engines DO need back pressure! about the only ones that don't really need it are top fuel cars and sprint cars. if you have no back pressure you can actually hurt the engine. plus a certian amount of it helps torque.

Got_hp said " do you see cats on race cars?" no becasue a cat is soley for making the exhasut gasses cleaner not back pressure. besides if an engine didn't need "any" back pressure then why even have any exhasut at all on a race car? plus we're not talking about a race car here it is a STREET car

to help with the other questions...... the timing chain needs no maintenance. just change the oil and filter regularly. one small problem the V8's have is the water pumps cna leak and fail. also there is a crank case vent plate on the back of the intake that usuallt leaks on V8's when it does it can sound like a screech sound or i have even herd of people describing them as a turkey noise from under the hood. what you will probably get is either a M62 or a M62TU those are great engines. a problem with the M60's were that the cylinders would get warped and it would need a short block. sometimes the engine runs good but just has a lopey idle on the M60's. also on the M60's the oil pump bolts would work there way out and casue low oil pressure. but if your getting an E39 then you will get a M62 so those two problems shouldn't be much of an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)