BMW Werkz banner

Getting rid of silver trim

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  brien4787 
#1 ·
I have a 98' 528i and as you may/maynot know, chrome looks terrible on a silver car. So I want to get rid of it! I have it around the trim of my car and around the trim of my windows. I was talking to someone at the last meet I went too (all 5er meet) and he told me I need a complete replacement strip and thats what he did and I loved how it looked. I was thinking of getting the trim painted but I got used to haveing the variation of color on my car.

Where do I buy these replacement pieces? :confused

Here is that guys car that has no silver trim because he bought a replacement strip for the windows and trim.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Well, as long as you properly prepare the surface before painting it shouldnt chip. medium sanding, then light sanding, then clean with a tack cloth and primer it.

I believe the trim paint doesnt need a primer though. As long as you dont spray a heavy first coat (just like a mist) it should be fine. On another car, I painted all trim this way and it was fine. I did about 3 mist coats, then a regular thicker coat. If your STILL worried about chipping or peeling, you can clearcoat it and wrap it around the backside, but then it'll have a gloss to it

#14 ·
It's called Shadowline Trim. As you stated, it came with the sport package. Here are some prices from the dealership:

front bumper pieces:
left side-19.78
middle-22.60
right side-19.78

fenders:
left side-9.72
right side-9.72

doors:
front left door-25.43
front right door-25.43
rear left door-25.43
rear right door-25.43

rear bumper:
left side-28.88
middle-33.05
right side-28.88

I still need to inquire about the pricing for the pieces around the window.

#15 ·
:yezfunny. That looks awesome on that generation 5 series. Besides removing the trim, I agree covering it up better because there is no chance of damaging your car, and covering it up can be removed.

I saw on cardomain john guy who works with beckers, covered up his trim with some adhesive. Here is a version on an earlier 5 series, along with some

Instructions and pics
here it is

Here is a pic

Attachments

#16 ·
I've been looking into replacing my silver window trims with black ones as well. I took it to the dealer and they told me it'd cost $800-900 just to replace the trims on the windows (there's 12 pieces altogether. Am I getting ripped off? Maybe I should just get them painted - how much would that cost?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.