General 5 series (e28) questions. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M528i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to M528i
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation General 5 series (e28) questions.

i have a e28 m tech 528i , and was wondering about a few little things.

1 , it irratically idles a bit i was wondering if this is a gerneral charactieristic of the car or what it might be

2 is there any ways to get more power out of my car . with out going crazy with turbo kits and such.

3. on my trip computer theres alittle red LED that has lit it self up next to the MPG button. any idea ive been through the manual and cant find anything

any help would be awesome thanks guys and girls.

///M feel the burn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
1) the engine should idle smooth(not like v12 wineglass smooth but still smooth) I would check for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner(usually is a small crack in the intake boot)

2) the m20 is an ok engine to start with maybe to a k&n panel filter(not a cone filter as without the proper piping and shielding it turns into a HAI not a CAI) some header and a nice exhaust with some magniflow high flow cats and a chip to match

3) hmmmm you got me... post a pic of the light you speak of or a picture of th trip comp. With the light circled

What have you done to the car so far btw(oh and I forgot to say welcome to the werkz!)
#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks man, yea i think its a vaccum leak cause when i take the oil cap off it labours a bit, i tightened up the bolts on the head and that helped a little but still does it a bit.

uh performance wise nothing atm ive only owned her a few months , i was thinking K&N filteres and such , but didnt wanna go insane as you know everything costs money lol.

i plan on sticking 18" rims on the can and having it lowered a bit for performance as well as looks, uh new filteres, maybe extractors and a full exhaust system put in theres a few dents i wanna get pushed out and the exterior door trim ( centre of the door) replaced. and some paint work done. ive got big plans for my baby lol

///M feel the burn
#4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
by "bolts on the head" do you mean the bolts for the Valve cover or the bolts holding the head to the block? Oh it is normal for the car to stumble when the oil cap is removed as your creating a large vacuum leak

Look for some Alpina rims they would look tight on your car... I sugest H&R's with bilsteins for the suspension.

Yep everything costs money... believe me i know i just ordered a bunch of mods for my ///M

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yeah i mean valve cover, and bilstein susspention costs sooo much
can you link me to some alpina rims, i was gunna go some 18" hamann multi spokes , but like everything else they're expensive. as for the taking to oil cap off , are you sure cause i can do it on every other car ive owned and the engine doesnt labour at all. like with my mercedes 280e never did it
but entirly possible.

hows your cars going

///M feel the burn
#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Neutral Member

nnamdi is on a distinguished road
trust me dude, its normal to have the engine stutter with d oil cap off. Like Alpine said it causes a vacuum leak. BMWs use the MAF system unlike the MAP that other car makers use. Has to be a cracked boot or hose. TEMPORARY solution is to wrap the crack with insulating electrical tape. Does it throttle smoothly? How about the "red light"?
#7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yeah throtles ok ive hasd some probs but i think its the injectors. yh i have to find the leak.
oh ok i didnt know abou the maf system. cool any ideas where the leak might be
???

like when i accelerate it like lags, its hard to explain, with out seeing it lol thnks

///M feel the burn
#8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Neutral Member

The most obvious is on the major or largest rubber hose running from the air flow meter to the air intake manifold. You should check that the clips are nice and tight at both ends. Other culprits could be the hoses on the idle control valve, breather hose from the top cylinder cover etc. Basically take each one out systematically and examine. Nozzles? Let it be the last resolve. Though like you said I may have to see it.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yeah man, the car is like lagging / missfiring, i dont think id call it missfire cause it doesnt back fire or nuffin, but you go to accelerate pretty hard, and it act as if like when you stall it. then i give the accelerator a couple of pumps and it takes off that why i think its the feul injectors cause when i pump the acellerator it give a couple of big squirts of feul and runs good again until i got to hard accelerate

????????

///M feel the burn
#10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Neutral Member

Maybe u should check d strainer on the pump, and fuel filter first. also that there are no leaks along the fuel lines up to the injector rail. Beyond these, check out the nozzles. Sometime last year, we had low quality fuel in d market. it messed up a friend 535i. Stuttered till he changed d rail and a couple of nozzles. All the best man.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks man big help, i had a feeling it was somthing to do with the feul, i still have a feeling it could be a vaccum leak as well. ive got a feul filter to change over . just havent had the time when i gave her a service , shes got new leads , plugs air and oil filteres. thanks dood what do you drive???

///M feel the burn
#12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Neutral Member

'94 E36 318i, had issues with take-off and hard start in d morning. turns out 2 nozzles weren't happy anymore. Rail had dirt particles also. Flushed out with carb cleaner and thinner and it was all good.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
werid thing happened today i got to an interesection , (lucky it wasnt in the city) and the car had serious loss of power, and the it was idling aroung .5 to 0 rpm i was pumping the throttle to get some feul through and didnt seem to be working, then the motor cut out. so i started again hung aound 1000 rpm then slowly dropped and died once again, hopped out popped the hood and started the car and it ws running fine. then took it down the street filled it up with premium feul and ran injector and cams cleaner through it and was doing ok, went a fang down a raod good the on had one little hick up ... any idea what the hell i think the nozzles may need changing ?

///M feel the burn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)