BMW Werkz banner

A funny smell

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  silverlea 
#1 ·
Every time i get into my 2001 530i and it has been sitting for a few hours and i turn on my a/c it has this smell that last about 5-10 seconds, my girlfriend says it smells like a outhouse, like urine. I really didn't think about it as that, but i knew that it wasn't exactly pleasent. Now it is stuck in my head that this smells like piss. Anyways, it goes away after that first start of the A/c and doesn't return until the next start from a cold start. Any answers?

#7 ·
thats actually is only a common problem if you run your AC right before you turn your car off, and start it up again. youre right, what you are smelling is most likely mildew

remember: if you use your AC, a min or 2 before you turn your car off, turn the AC off and just run the air. this will dry out the mildew thats already there, and prevent any from forming. its easy to do, but even i forget to do it.

another way to prevent it.. keep those bimmer windows down and that sunroof open :cheers

#9 ·
disinfect your AC system...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.