fully integrated bluetooth - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e60525d is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i have a 2004 bmw 5 series. is there a bluetooth which can be operated by the multi functional steering wheel and the idrive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 07:43 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Bluetooth is a totally wireless system and will not need integration into the MFL...With bluetooth, though, BMW Assist through the i-drive system will no longer work. Hope this answers your question sufficiantly.

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 06:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 325isBaby@Jul 25 2004, 08:23 PM
Bluetooth is a totally wireless system and will not need integration into the MFL...With bluetooth, though, BMW Assist through the i-drive system will no longer work. Hope this answers your question sufficiantly.
Quote:
With bluetooth, though, BMW Assist through the i-drive system will no longer work.
could you explain that in abit more detail. i want to use the cars speakers for the phone and the telephone button on the steering wheel.

with the idrive i want to acess the phone book.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 11:30 PM
5th Gear Member

With Bluetooth, when a call comes in the audio will be plumbed into the car's audio speakers. The buttons on the steering wheel can be used to make and recieve calls as well as scroll the phone book and select a number or activate voice command (if applicable). I hope this answers your question more thoroughly.

Come see me at MySpace
#5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 PM
n00b

carlosgalindovon is an unknown quantity at this point
In order to have the bluetooth working on my 2004 5 series, do I need to purchase the universal bluetooth module or does it comes integrated in the car equipment already?
Thanks
#6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:02 AM
n00b

cassidym is an unknown quantity at this point
Is Bluetooth installed at the factory or by the dealer? I just ordered a 545 and the salesman told me that Bluetooth was a dealer not a factory option. Is this true?
#7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i dont have bluetooth, i want to know if i can retrofit it?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:13 PM
n00b

skorpyo25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi to all,
i've been waiting my E61 since April2004 and among the optionals there is also bluetooth feature code 644. Here in Germany I ordered it as a factory option.
Hope will help you.
Bye
#9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 AM
n00b

Steve530 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a stupid question - what is the advantage of a bluetooth mobile phone over a standard cellular phone?
#10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 04:13 PM
n00b

cassidym is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a stupid question at all. Bluetooth is a low powered wireless technology that, in the car, would allow you to wear an ear bud without a wire connecting you to the car's phone system.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 02:23 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
Bluetooth is a dealer-installed option that probably needs a bluetooth transmitter to be attached to iDrive, followed optionally by a cradle for your mobile phone. The cradle fits in the armrest compartment in the center console and interfaces the phone's antenna with the car's sharkfin antenna located on the roof. The cradle also charges the battery, so a phone-specifc cradle is necessary.

Beyond this, however, Bluetooth is completely wireless. Your phone's address book will appear on iDrive, you will speak into the microphone located above your head in the ceiling of the car, and sound will play through your car's speakers. As someone mentioned, BMW Assist might not work, but I wonder if BMW is trying to fix this problem...

All of this sounds good except for the fact that Bluetooth has been delayed once again.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by e60525d+Jul 26 2004, 12:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(e60525d @ Jul 26 2004, 12:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-325isBaby@Jul 25 2004, 08:23 PM
Bluetooth is a totally wireless system and will not need integration into the MFL...With bluetooth, though, BMW Assist through the i-drive system will no longer work.* Hope this answers your question sufficiantly.
Quote:
With bluetooth, though, BMW Assist through the i-drive system will no longer work.
could you explain that in abit more detail. i want to use the cars speakers for the phone and the telephone button on the steering wheel.

with the idrive i want to acess the phone book.
[snapback]152598[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Here is more info. "quoted" on bluetooth:
A. Bluetooth™ technology is a wireless language that allows two compatible devices to communicate with each other. Similar to the way a television remote uses infra-red to communicate with a television, Bluetooth™ used radio waves rather than infra-red. However, the unique feature of Bluetooth™ is that the devices do not have to be pointed directly at each other as the signals are omnidirectional. Bluetooth™ was developed to transmit both voice and data and has a bandwidth of about 1mb/sec. Bluetooth™ only requires that the devices be within 10 meters (32.ft) of each other to communicate.

B. Three more questions for the experts:

1. Why couldn't they consider an auxilary sound input connector. Wouldn't that solve the problem of the assist ?....Just asking loud!!
2. If the phone address Book appears on the idrive alas KSZ; does this imply that the system has the ability to synchronize?? Thinking in terms of a workstation and a server?? If so; it's very interesting indeed
3. Why they call it Bluetooth?
regards
billb
#13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 PM
5th Gear Member

A1: Bluetooth takes away the BMW assist feature since the Blutooth Module (ULF) replaces the existing TCU (Telematics Control Unit) which controls BMW assist dial out.

A2: Bluetooth will (projected at this time) be able to unify multiple forms of technology via a MMC (multi media changer) for the ability of Fax, internet capabilities, etc. but is unavailable at this time. (*may be misunderstanding the posed question it's been a long day)

A3: Bluetooth takes it's name from the Danish king Harald Bluetooth who lived in the 10th century who was well known for his ability to unify his kingdom.

Hopefully answered some of your questions.

Come see me at MySpace
#14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:01 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 9 2004, 09:10 PM
2. If the phone address Book appears on the idrive alas KSZ; does this imply that the system has the ability to synchronize?? Thinking in terms of a workstation and a server?? If so; it's very interesting indeed
In theory yes. Bluetooth is a local-area wireless networking standard similar to 802.11a/b/g for networking your home wirelessly. As such, Bluetooth is simply a transport-layer protocol and does not impose any actual computing restrictions. Multiple devices can synchronize with each other as long as someone writes the necessary synchronization and conflict-resolution software. With iDrive, however, it won't be necessary to synchronize two separate databases because it's my understanding that iDrive will mimic or copy-exactly the contents of a particular phone's address book.

Every Bluetooth device must first be "paired" with another Bluetooth device. This ensures that only paired devices will communicate while rejecting all other non-paired devices. Perhaps iDrive will allow multiple Bluetooth phones to be paired. For example, when dad brings his cellphone into the car, it will be recognized. When mom brings hers into the car it too should be recognized. And when Jack and Jill bring theirs into the car, all 4 of their address books might appear, allowing the driver to pick an address book and then pick a name from that book. On the other hand, due to safety concerns, BMW might only allow 1 phone to be paired at any one time. But in all cases, iDrive will not send any new address book entries back to the phone; it will only read what is stored in the phone -- hence no bidirectional synchronization.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
5th Gear Member

Update that just came out in last months SRT meeting states that the Bluetooth ULF will now be integrated to the 2005 MY vehicles existing TCU (which allows you to keep your BMW assist) in all BMW vehicles with the exception of the E65/66. Still as of yet there are no phone cradles offered with the Bluetooth system, no additional information at this time via SRT or Hotline...will try to keep all interested posted. up to 4 paired devices can be stored, but the Bluetooth system will only allow one mobile to connect. (i.e. if you and your significant other have both paired their phones to their BMW the first phone that the Bluetooth sees in it's range (on of course) is the only mobile it will read). Kind of a crazy system, but keeps things more simplistic. As I mentioned before I can keep any who are interested up to date the best I can.

Come see me at MySpace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)