Fuel Pump - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW for life is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
All,

Please help, for I am in dire need of some advice. Most recently, I was driving my 1989 525I BMW on th highway. I was doing 60 miles per hour, and all of a sudden the car cut off. I pulled over, and restarted the car, drove for about 10 minutes and it cut off again. i tried to restart but it would not restart. Finannly, after I waited 2 hours, it restarted. About 1 and a half years ago, I jumped my fuel pump fuse and hooked it on to the heater blower fuse, similar to the link below.

http://www.threefattigers.com/Proto...uelPumpJump.jpg

Since then never had any problems. But I think it might be the fuel pump this time. When I turn my car on, you hear the fuel pump operating in the background (makes some noise). Is this normal? Currently, my car starts, and runs, but after 15 minutes of driving it cuts off. I recently cleaned the fuse box and the jumped fuel pump and heater blower fuse. So, what could it be? Feul pump or fuse circuit board. If it is the fuse circuit board, is the circuit board expensive, and what am I looking at on labor charges? Someone please help, for all the bad mechanics think I need a tuneup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:35 PM
n00b

BMW for life is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys,

Ive even attached a photo of my car. i love this car, but I need some mechanical advice from the true BMW lovers/care takers out there. No more mechanics that are trying to rip me off.

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW for life@Feb 25 2005, 03:27 PM
All,

Please help, for I am in dire need of some advice. Most recently, I was driving my 1989 525I BMW on th highway. I was doing 60 miles per hour, and all of a sudden the car cut off. I pulled over, and restarted the car, drove for about 10 minutes and it cut off again. i tried to restart but it would not restart. Finannly, after I waited 2 hours, it restarted. About 1 and a half years ago, I jumped my fuel pump fuse and hooked it on to the heater blower fuse, similar to the link below.

http://www.threefattigers.com/Proto...uelPumpJump.jpg

Since then never had any problems. But I think it might be the fuel pump this time. When I turn my car on, you hear the fuel pump operating in the background (makes some noise). Is this normal? Currently, my car starts, and runs, but after 15 minutes of driving it cuts off. I recently cleaned the fuse box and the jumped fuel pump and heater blower fuse. So, what could it be? Feul pump or fuse circuit board. If it is the fuse circuit board, is the circuit board expensive, and what am I looking at on labor charges? Someone please help, for all the bad mechanics think I need a tuneup.
[snapback]299322[/snapback]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	17725  
#3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The thing to do is 1st determine what is dropping out when the problem occurs, is it fuel pressure? or is it spark or injection or is it both? since you are suspecting the fuel pump then the thing to do is hook up a fuel pressure guage and monitor the pressure. since it has to be driven quite a ways you would want to hook up the guage and then drive it and then when it cuts out or dies quickly check the guage to see if the pressure dropped off. If the fuel pressure is within spec when the problem occurs then you can rule out the fuel pump and move on to other things.
Good luck
DT

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)