Front End Noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
meditek is an unknown quantity at this point
Seem to have developed a noise :-

Type :- a sort of brief knock, dunk, clunk
Where :- ? offside front
When :- at very low speed 1-3 MPH on applying brake, releasing brake or going over an uneven surface. Possibly more likely after driving for a while.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BMW E39 540i 1996
meditek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like either a lower ball joint, which would require a lower control arm replacement. or it is prolly a sway bar drop link.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Apr 22 2005, 11:05 PM
sounds like either a lower ball joint, which would require a lower control arm replacement. or it is prolly a sway bar drop link.
[snapback]336710[/snapback]
Odd thing is that it only appears after I've been dring a while and things have got warm? Anyway, I gave them a squirt of WD40 and it's gone.

Well, it hadn't gone as it turned out. Just wasn't warm enough.

It went to the local BMW dealer today and they couldn't really trace it. Checked the ball joints and bushes OK. Came up with something lame like ' It may be the tie bar.' You mean the bushes I said.... 'No, the tie bar' said the man. I don't fully understand what he was talking about so I'm going to find the mecahanic that checked it.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Seems an edit needs a bump, sorry.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't mean to come off as rude just correcting. what you are talking about are bushings and what they were talking about were the tie rods. it could be a slight possibility that the bushings are causing the noise. but all the symptoms poitn right at a lower ball joint. if you wanted you could check the ball joints yourself, and the bushings. you of course have to jack the car up. and to check the bushings it is pretty simple. just look for any rips or tears in the rubber. to check the ball joints you must also put it in the air. and with the front wheels off the ground grab the front tire with both hands one on the back edge and one on the front egde. then just turn the wheel back and forth slightly and the wheel should turn failry smoothly. if there is any clunk type movement then your ball joint is bad.

hope this helps
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Apr 25 2005, 06:54 PM
i don't mean to come off as rude just correcting. what you are talking about are bushings and what they were talking about were the tie rods. it could be a slight possibility that the bushings are causing the noise. but all the symptoms poitn right at a lower ball joint. if you wanted you could check the ball joints yourself, and the bushings. you of course have to jack the car up. and to check the bushings it is pretty simple. just look for any rips or tears in the rubber. to check the ball joints you must also put it in the air. and with the front wheels off the ground grab the front tire with both hands one on the back edge and one on the front egde. then just turn the wheel back and forth slightly and the wheel should turn failry smoothly. if there is any clunk type movement then your ball joint is bad.

hope this helps
[snapback]337625[/snapback]
Thanks. I got my bars confused. I had advice somewhere that it was a ball joint on the stabiliser bar link. The garage suggested it could be a joint on the tie bar end. The say that they had the car on a ramp with the wheels off the ground and the suspension parts checked out solid. Unfortunately, as the problem is only there when the car has driven 40 miles or so they were unable to hear anything. However, although they couldn't guarantee anything, they said the symptoms suggested a tie bar joint.
Hope this clarifies?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
screwdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
ive exactly the same problem di you find out what the problem was
screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by screwdriver@May 29 2005, 02:07 PM
ive exactly the same problem di you find out what the problem was
[snapback]348695[/snapback]
I renewed the stabiliser bar drop link and it made no difference. I'm now wondering whether to renew the central tie bar (rod) and both tie bar ends. I'm reluctant to do this unless I can be quite sure it is the problem!

PS I thought you had 'creaking' too? I don't have any creaking.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
screwdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
just stripped suspension down and the only fault i can find is a faulty wheel bearing which feel very notchy as you turn it and is noisy, this is with wheel and disc removed , all bushes and ball joints are fine , check your bearings because i am having exactly the same problems as you but check with wheel and disc removed and turn by hand
screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SlateM535i is an unknown quantity at this point
hey there ..
well the problem sometimes is much simpler and more silly than we can think .. try checking the cooling fan and the radiator .. the fan bolt might be a lil loose ...
SlateM535i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)