Fitting Driving/Fog lights to E34xM50 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
schematic is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Fitting Driving/Fog lights to E34xM50

I've just purchased a set of Driving/fog lights from flea bay. what's involved in fitting these? Do I need another Loom/Relay/Switch or are they hidden away somewhere? I have had a Quick look underneath but could not see any wiring at the locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
No Reply!! Driving/Fog lights Install

Well I've sussed out I need to put in a Loom for the Driving/Fog Lights and I'll have to change the original fog light switch as this only switches on one position (rear fog) not two. Does the other 2 way switch use the same wiring?? or do I need to run yet more wires?? I Know the Loom for the Lights plugs in on the Left hand side of the Engine compartment but surely it can't be that big a job to install and what Box is the relay for this hidden in??
#3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
The 1 position fog light switch only switches the front foglights, not rear ...

If you wanted to use the 2 position switch, you would have to modify it because when it's in position 2, position 1 is also on ... so in turn if you wired the driving lights on pos. 2, your regular foglights would also come on when they are turned off ... I dunno if I'm making much sense, but you'd probably get pulled over for too much light unless you modify the switch to have independent turn on/off.

edit: remove the connection between the 2 positions, then run a relay that would switch foglights off when the driving lights come on and vice versa.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
1 position fog light switch

As I have not had a lot of response on this subject I have been right through the system myself these are my findings on my car a 520i
The wires for the Front Driving/Fog lights are already in place but taped back in each front corner colours Yellow/Red and brown.
The 1 Position switch only switches the REAR Fog lights on and if you check the switch itself pin 1 the one that supplies switching to the front is not there so it must be changed for a 2 position switch to give you first position Front Drive/Fog lights and second position both front and rear Fog lights there is no need to modify this set up as this is the correct BMW set up.
In addition to this you have to plug in a Front Fog Light relay into the Front distribution box the fuses are already in place there is no relay for the rear fog lights so all I need to do now is find out the relay place for my Fog lights! but that is a simple matter of probing with my sparky Meter. I can't wait to start friving round with my fog lights on all the time as we do get a lot of sea fog down on the south coast of England.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)