Electrical Issue Worsens - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
(Thread Starter)
Electrical Issue Worsens

So l it rained a lot yesterday, had the alarm go off twice last night when trying to go somewhere. This morning it happens as I try to go to class, key fob wont turn it off, key in ignition wont turn it off, interior lock button wont turn it off, turning on the car wouldn't turn it off...so I started to drive it with the alarm going off, which after a few seconds stopped it. Did it again after class, but happened after I tried to start it, not when I unlocked it. Went to lunch, leaving, alarm goes off when I try to turn it on...struggles to come on for a few and then starts up and I drive for a few seconds and it quits. On the way to dinner tonight, doesn't do it...I'm pretty happy. After dinner...does it, parking lot full of little kids and their moms from some Christmas thing the university was doing in the field beside the cafeteria....so I try to turn it on and get it over with as quick as I can...nothing...doesn't even try to turn...wait a minute, try again, keep the key turned all the way for 3ish seconds, starts up fine as if I had just turned the key then. Get to the dorm, turn it off and try to see if it will start now....nope. Held the key turned for 10 seconds or more several times, didn't even attempt to start, all the lights, dash lights, A/C, radio, etc came on when I turned it, but no attempt to start. I need this figured out quick, I can't have this happen every time it decides to rain real good.

Edit: Guy in the first thread something about the alarm live wire possibly coming from the ignition, anyone know if this is the case? We all know by now electrical isn't my strong point, but if the live wire does come from the ignition I suspect when the shop here replaced the cylinder they messed something up, seeing as it didn't do it until after they did their stuff.

Last edited by Kai; 12-03-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Okay, so I took the E39 to my independent at home yesterday after I got it town, that way if it didn't start again it was somewhere that it could get worked on. Me and one of the mechanics that I have built a friendship with since the E34 took a look at the ignition, live wire to the alarm looked fine. Checked seals to make sure moister wasn't getting inside that way...everything was fine. Nothing that I or anyone there thought could be causing it was the case, so I am going to disable the alarm and call it a day. Now, one question for anyone who knows...to properly disable the alarm what is supposed to be done? Is there a plug and BMW provides that goes into the harness and disables it? That is the only option I have come up with and some say that the part is only able to be gotten from BMW (which makes sense), others say there is a guy who owns a place 45 minutes away called Volkies that works on foreign cars that can get the part and is honest, been in business 25 years, and is much cheaper then the dealer. So, is that for sure the only proper way to disable it, and is the part only obtainable from BMW? Thanks guys.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Come on fellas, are you really going to disregard me for this long....

#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
It could get complicated; you may need to check all the wiring with a meter.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Is that in reference to fixing the problem itself, or to disarming the alarm ws?

#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
To fix the main issue.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yeah. I have no desire to get into that right now, even if someone tried to break into my car at school, I wouldn't hear it in my room and I couldn't in class either. So until the alarm would do any benefit to me I think that disabling the alarm would be the best way. Now if all the times my alarm went off on me if anyone had tried to go "Hey, what are you doing," I might leave it, but even with me having the trunk open, unhooking the battery, drivers door open and messing around in the interior, everyone just walked on by...so if someone was trying to steal what little I have in the car, no one would stop them. Oh well.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Raining when I went out, car unlocked and started...when I got back to the dorm I felt the floorboard under the passenger's seat carpet...a little wet.. ECU getting moisture in it me thinks? You thinks?

#9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
OMFG another one!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
Raining when I went out, car unlocked and started...when I got back to the dorm I felt the floorboard under the passenger's seat carpet...a little wet.. ECU getting moisture in it me thinks? You thinks?
Yup, I thinks.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Me thinks that I am glad I might have it figured out, but me thinks I can't work on it here so I hope that no one steals...well I guess just my gps in the door pocket... if it keeps raining and I can't lock my doors.

#11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Neutral Member

wayne adesso is on a distinguished road
If you can afford it I would take it to the guy that was suggested to you and have him give you a price on a proper fix. If it is too much then have him disable the alarm. Some times shutting a system down will keep bringing up warning lights and such. Any way the alarm is a good thing to have in place.

528imwayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)