BMW Werkz banner

Electric problems 99 540i

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LOS 
#1 ·
My 99 540i is having electrical problems. It seems every warning light on the car has come on at one point or another. The check front fog lights and trans fail safe seem to come on regularly. When the airbag light comes on the horn does not work, however when I hit the horn the light goes off until I let go og the horn. The latest is my GPS/stereo component would not turn on and while driving down the road my steering column was, on its own, was moving up and down. Once the stereo/gps came back on everything was fine. :screwy :screwy Any idea where the problem may lie?

#2 ·
Hey :welcome to the forums, hope you stick around

Well, my Mom has a 98' 528i and she had the same problem as you.

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/topic14574.html

They had to replace two things, a switch or something in the seat and and another somewhere else. I spent $3000 for that whole service but the actual fix to that problem that your having should be somewhere around $1200.

Good Luck! :D

#3 ·
Dexman, contact your dealer and try to work out some type of a deal where you only have to pay a partial amount or nothing. If that doesn't work contact BMWNA customer relations, don't have the phone number with me right now, will post it later. If you get into an accident because of the steering wheel moving up or down BMW could be liable for it!

LOS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.