E61 Tailgate window. How do I open? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dimbim is on a distinguished road
E61 Tailgate window. How do I open?

I need to open the tailgate window to gain access to the hinges, where I suspect the wires are damaged.
I have removed the plastic panels in the tailgate, and removed the four pin plug from the window lock. Does anyone know what voltages I need to apply to each pin in order to pop open the window Please?
dimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jukkareu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimbim View Post
I need to open the tailgate window to gain access to the hinges, where I suspect the wires are damaged.
I have removed the plastic panels in the tailgate, and removed the four pin plug from the window lock. Does anyone know what voltages I need to apply to each pin in order to pop open the window Please?
I have same problem.

How can I open that tailgate glas when the switch in the glas is not working.

Have anyboby wiring diagram of E61 touring 2008?

I would not want to break the back of the door upholstery, so that I can switch exchanged.
jukkareu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Open glass panel of tailgate.

It is a long time since I posted the request for information.
Yours was the first reply.
Soon after posting, I found out the answer myself. This is what I remember from about 2 years ago.
I removed the panel on the inside of the tailgate.
Somewhere in there was a plunger, or pull lever.
When I applied the required pressure, (in or out) the glass panel flipped open.
Remove as much as possible and get your hands in there and pull and push, and you will find that the window will open.

Something I have learned since, is that the glass panel will not open (with the switch) when the main tailgate is already open, so it is just possible that you will have to perform the above from inside, with the tailgate closed, though I don't remember that being the case.
The repair on mine turned out to be a wire disconnected at the base of the switch, so really easy to fix.

I wish you luck with this. Have a try, and if you fail, post a reply, and I will have a re-think if necessary.

Best wishes. James
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the reply.

Did you get disconnected from the inside panel, without that you got the glass open. At the top of it is I think the two screws to the panel is closed. at the bottom of the panel is also in a tight lock around it.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Tailgate.

I think I remember trouble getting in. My remedy was to remove the all the screws possible, and get my hand up and in there.
Have a go, and if you fail, write again, send your e mail address, and I will remove the panel, and refresh my memory, and then send you a diagram, so maybe you can poke something in.

Mine is a 2006/2007 e60 touring . Is your model similar?

jamesb@wtic.co.uk
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Hello,
I have not managed to open the rear glass.

Would it be possible that if you opened your upholstery, and give information about what would that I might have to pull open the glass.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
OK
I had a look this afternoon.
I took off the panel completely, but, of course, you will not be able to do this.
Remove as many screws as possible, and the two black plugs, one on each bottom corner.
This should allow you to push out the bottom enough to look inside.
I took the red plug out of the electric lock, which is up near the window, the plug is on the left hand side, near the middle.

I couldnt find out which pin to apply 12v to, so I took pot luck, and it pinged open.

Today I noticed that on the cable harness coming from the left, there was a plug. This one had at least one cable going up to the lock.
What I suggest is, if you have this on yours, that you apply a voltage to either, in turn, and see what happens.

I have photos, so let me know if you need to see them. (Not sure how I will do that.)

Good luck.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)