E60 problem thread - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 03:18 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My problems include:
1. Stuck cup holder after about 2 mo.-replaced
2. Hood out of alignment-upon delivery-adjusted
3. Driver door window scratched-upon delivery-replace
4. Mechanical belt tensioner making tapping noise, after about 1k miles=replaced with hydraulic
5. Loud ticking in front of motor, after about 2k miles (in the shop now) is supposed to be the electronic thermostat. I was told this was normal operating condition. Car sounds like a model T. I heard another 530 and it was absolutely quiet. Had a discussion with Service manager. Dealer still insists that it's normal and refuses to do anything.
6. Bridgestone Potenza run flat (right rear) has a slow leak, problem has been on-going, probably delivered that way. Needs to be checked by Bridgestone certified run flat dealer. Found one by calling the Bridgestone Tech Hotline.
7. Air cover scratched-upon delivery-replaced
8. Air bag light stayed on, upon delivery- replaced switch
9. Steering wheel doesn't automatically move up after turning off motor, after software update-need to investigate
10. Dynamic Drive System Failure displayed on screen. Didn't drive car. Started car the next day. No DDSF on screen. wtf?

Other irritations:
1) fixing hood alignment took 3 tries (damn noobie techs)
1a) front passenger windshield pillar scratched during hood alignment fix-
2) Belt tensioner fix took 2 tries (noobie tech sprayed the belt with belt lube the first time)
3) door panels had driver boot marks 3 times-had to send car back for cleaning
4) one time had to send the car back for washing 3 times (stopped having them wash it)
5) Left rear run flat picked up a dry-wall screw (damn construction near my home).
The left rear rim was severly scratched during tire mounting and needed to be repainted
6) right front rim has 5 inch curb rash from dealer drivers (damn fools-in shop now)

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 01:25 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Dynamic Drive System failure message (2nd time) diplayed on the idrive screen and on the driver's display. That's the computer that keeps the car level when cornering. A major system.

mmmmmmmm...sounds bad, very bad.....into the shop tomorrow....

I called BMWUSA today and asked for a new car. We'll see what happens with this new problem.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

#3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 02:13 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Part ordered to fix the DDS message. A valve block or some such thing.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:20 PM
TCR
n00b

TCR is an unknown quantity at this point
My problems with my new 545 are bad. I am not sure if others had experienced similar problems.

Problem #1
- Got 'Engine too hot warning' message. I took the car to the dealer and after few days of delay the dealer said that it is most likely a software issue and updated the software

- Few days later got the same message and before I could get to the dealer, the radiator water boiled out and spilled all over. Got the vehicle towed away to the dealer and after few days the dealer found the problem. It turns out the radiator fan was not working at all.

Problem #2
This is a very dangerous one.

While driving the car and taking a turn, the steering went rock hard (like stuck) and displayed the message 'Active Steering Initializing'. Luckily it was late in the night and I safely got to the curbside. On restarting the engine, the steering got unstuck.

Now the car is with the dealer and they are trying to figure out what is wrong. I am scared to drive the car..

Had anybody had similar experience?

--tcr
#5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 01:41 PM
n00b

tmontele is an unknown quantity at this point
I purchased a 545i two weeks ago. I drove it for a week and then it was recalled for a defective engine control unit (see copy press release below). I sent it to the dealer on July 16th and at this point I still do not know when I will get it back. I can say that I didn't have any problems with it (during the one week and 300 miles that I drove it). I really love the car and I want it back. It sounds like some of your problems may be related to the recall. Was you car manufactured betweenMay 12 and July 6? If you get any information please share it, I'm starting to questions my own recent very expensive purchase!!!!!

BMW Recalls 4,000 Cars

July 14, 2004
BMW is recalling 4,000 vehicles worldwide because of defective engine control units. The recall affects 5, 6 and 7-series and X5 models with V8 or V12 cylinder gas engines.

The company said a "temporary production fault of a supplier" is to blame.

The defect may cause the engine to cut off after a relatively short running time, potentially leading to a failure of the power-steering assistance as well as the brake booster following repeated operation of the brake, the company said.

"As a consequence, unexpected traffic situations including accidents may occur," BMW added.

The vehicles affected by the recall were built between May 12 and July 6 of this year.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:19 PM
n00b

mjprice is an unknown quantity at this point
1) I also broke my cup holder on my 2004 525
2) Broke the cigarette lighter when I was plugging in my cell phone charger (snapped off)
3) Have another problem would like peoples' feedback on. When I drive, especially on the freeway, it feels like the wind is whipping the car around even when there is no wind at all. In fact, every little bump or maneuver seems to cause the car to sway significantly. I am almost getting nauseous when I drive it. Maybe I am crazy, but my wife agrees with me. Its not the tire alignment, because the car will drive straight ahead without veering. I recently dinged my front light and bumper (a long story) and got it replaced, but I can't see how it would effect my car in this way.

Any thoughts? The suspension? Shocks? I now that the 7 series had problems with the shock absorbers...

Thanks.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn I feel sorry for you guys, you spent so much money on the new car and its giving these troubles. I think BMW needs to spend more time testing there cars and releasing them later on. I think they felt pressure due to new E-class release in 2002-2003. And also they were pissed at the Lincoln LS doing an AD which specially attacked the E39 5 series, with head-on camparsion in all handling/powertrain and price category. North American owners probably know about this.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 05:00 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by tmontele@Jul 23 2004, 01:21 PM
The company said a "temporary production fault of a supplier" is to blame.
Its BMW's fault for not testing the suppliers products. WTF
#9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Ok... With todays standards... I'm almost positive that more than we even think or.. have talked about in the forum goes on to test the product line and producers of such parts that consist of a BMW. One thing that cant exactly be replicated.. due to time and its lact of practicality.. is longevity of a part... and or probability that it might fail. For example... BMW cant test 100 cars with the same parts.. to see how many out of those cars' parts will fail. Its not pratical.. so every now and then you might get a bad egg out of the batch. And if it is a vital part that is the part that fails.. a part will cause others parts to not work at or near their intended operation.

Just my two cents

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
n00b

wgrupp is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving to work listening to Led Zeplin I. Stop at Starbucks for a cup of coffie. When I start the car all audio in muted with the speaker on the display unit crossed out as if I had muted the audio. Unable to unmute audio. Turn off and restart car twice. Audio still muted. Park car for a couple of hours, restart, everything working fine.
I talked to the service manager at local BMW and he said that if it happens again to let him know and he will make an appointment to reload the software on the car.

2004 530i
Sport Package
Premium Package
Navigation
#11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 PM
n00b

MIMI1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MIMI1
my 2nd reply

umm there have been some issues ive been reading about on other forums of such encounters such as u had

TCR

there was this one guy from M5forums driving a 545i i believe stick and he was on the track and the steering changed ratios from low steering speed @ high driving speed to high steering speed @ low driving speed

honestly i believe its a dangerous thing to have when doing spirited driving
it sux to see bmw go down this electronix b/s path arent they supposed 2 be traditional ??

i donno bout u guys but im gonna go look on the E39 for now the new look is kinda growing on me but still i prefer the muscular lines of our old faithfull E39

and as for chris bangle screwing the interior and xteriors up to an extent

its all good man TCR im glad your safe and nothing happend

take care
MIMI1

You only live once Buy an ///M

#12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 10:29 PM
TCR
n00b

TCR is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply from all of you folks.

It is now more than 3 weeks and still BMW don't have any information about
what happened to my 545i and the car is still with the Dealer.

The service guy from Dealership called to inform that he cannot say anything about my car and the issue is being worked directly by BMW.

argh..
#13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 10:07 AM
n00b

MIMI1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MIMI1
ask the dealer to get you a new car

or get a loaner from them but make sure to create a scene and get a loaner most similar to the price u paid 4 your 545
and then have fun with it dont get too frustrated wit service cuz i kno 1st hand that some services can reall fu**ing suck Nemet Volvo

but try to give the supervisor a call or someone whos in charge and talk with him regarding your problem say that this isnt BMW marques dependability i bought this car to be a driver machine and all iget is a car that is sitting in the shop since i bought it either you get me a new car or youll be hearing from my lawyer

if you are willing to take it that far im into studying law a bit and if you find a lawyer who is willing to work with you you will have a new car in a week

there are laws other than the lemon law which provide the cunsumer with protection from dealers which refuse to provide full craftsmanship and cooperation with you or fail to provide the services you are supposed 2 receive

someone correct me if im wrong BTW this is in NY

You only live once Buy an ///M

#14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:39 PM
n00b

tmontele is an unknown quantity at this point
I wanted to comment on two of the topics listed above. I just purchased a 545i and I love it. It was part of a recall three weeks ago and the dealer had the car for two weeks to replace the engine control unit. The issue that TCR has may be related to the same recall issue. I would suggest contacting BMW directly. You may also want to check into your states lemon laws (Not that I think that BMWs are lemons and as I said I love my 545). In Maryland if a new car can is out of commission for 30 days during the warranty period for warranty repairs the car is automatically catagorized as a lemon and the manufacturer must buy back the car or provide a replacement. I would suggest trying this route and getting a replacement 545.

Secondly, as I said above, my car was at the dealer having the engine control unit replaced. I've had it back for a week and last night as I left work when I started the car the audio was muted and I could not turn it on. Exactly like WGRUPP stated "When I start the car all audio in muted with the speaker on the display unit crossed out as if I had muted the audio. Unable to unmute audio. Turn off and restart car twice. Audio still muted. Park car for a couple of hours, restart, everything working fine." In addition I also have the park distance control with visual display and it also did not work. I have not contacted my service department yet.

Any information would be helpful.
#15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 05:00 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Dynamic Drive System Failure.
Dealer replaced "valve block".
Message reappeared and another valve block was ordered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)