e60 04 545i se problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
slysilverfox is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e60 04 545i se problem

food for thought

having had a fair range of bmw's e30 2.3 -e28 2.0 -e34 2.0 -e39 2.8 and now e60 545.....i thought i had a gem.....mystic blue cream leather etc..
started having problems with i-drive,sat-nav,blue tooth cd player radio & the screen playing up intermitently......i found water in bottom of spare wheel well (not used due to runflats) after having crytical electronic system failure show up on i-drive screen whilst traveling in outside lane of motorway.......engine faltered, steering went tight etc...due to partial close down of electronic systems.....
being quiet handy with situations i bought a new control module,cleaned all connections dried out the well and found all items now were working....
the main $tealers said the new part needed to be mapped into the on-board computer...well if they service the vehicles they ought to know so i booked it in....the agent advised there may be a few hiccups as the mapping means any available programme upgrades will also be added but at times they do have issues with this up grade......quoted £150.00 + tax
after three attempts to complete work i am told that there is a problem with my m.a.s.c unit (audio controller) and if i want my car back functioning as it did before they touched it (all items working) it will cost me £2065.00 inc tax
this i declined at this time.....
i collected my car from them to find partial up-grade of software with the bluetooth and cd player not working....still debating how to approach BMW customer service without telling them what i think of their agents....
any and all constructive criticism welcome

Last edited by slysilverfox; 02-21-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
unfortunately the dealership is not in the wrong. Sometimes during flash programming certain modules can have crashes and worst case scenario can even be corrupted to a unrecoverable state. It's not the dealerships fault, they do not write the software, the manufacturer does. I would call BMW customer relations for your area and ask them if they can do anything to help. Perhaps BMW engineering can assist by remotely attempting a reflash of the M-ASK. This would still involve a visit to the dealer but they may be able to recover the M-ASK and save you from paying for a replacement.

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you for your reply.........sorry i should have said more but it was getting to be a life story......
the module was mapped in no problem..when the updates got to my audio controller it would no go past it... $tealer said fault with M-audio system controller... M.A.S.K unit
(it all worked before they touched it)
area BMW office tried remote download to correct the issue.they also failed. BMW office customer service approached by $tealer they replied sorry vehicle too old.
i feel that they could have/may have been able to rewind the programming back to original factory state.
perhaps wishful thinking
but as of now, i have not approached them myself due to the inability the be calm and collected over this issue.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
There is no way to rewind the programing to its previous state. The M-ASK may have been starting to go out internally (with no symptoms showing yet) and the programming just pushed it over the edge. I understand your frustration. Unfortunately situations like this are unavoidable sometimes. This is one of the down sides to owning such a technologically advanced car.

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
THANK YOU DT for your comments....seems like this is going to be an expensive toy.

The mask unit (65126942522) has a slot into which i put the sat-nav disc (cd player cartridge is a seperate unit at the back of the glove box)
as i will have to replace this unit could i upgrade to a professional system, as opposed to the business unit fitted, or would that mean changing the screen and or other items?
#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 AM

Retrofitting Navi Professional would be a lot of work. Im not too familiar with Business Nav because its not available here however I know to retrofit Navi here in the US you would have to replace the screen with the larger screen.Install the CCC- navi computer, Install the Controller with Menu/voice buttons, run a Navi antenna wire fromt he front of the car to the back of the car along with a couple other wiring mods. Then when you are al done the car needs coding to make this all work along with a FSC enabling code from BMW to re-allow voice activation.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)