BMW Werkz banner

E39 Weird engine noise/vibration ? What could it be? (ENGINE VIDEO)

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  528i_tourer 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i really dont know if this is a normal sound for my 28i engine since i dont know him yet very well...

When on idle, i mean not driving, only engine running, from the car inside i hear some noise i guess it comes from the outside, maybe engine compartment, something like:

ta ta ta ta tra tra ta ta (the "tra tra" means an irregular sound between all "ta ta"....:D)

YouTube - BMW E39 528i engine

Very low sound, need to be focused to hear....

Well since i dont know if this is a normal sound i put here my engine working on the outside and would like to know your opinion if these is a normal engine noise and take a careful look at the end part...where near the engine you could see some vibration...

#7 ·
what weight oil are you running? its possible that in the morning the viscosity from it being colder was thick enough to conceal the problem... sadly many people increase thier oil weight to hide noises and thats not the way to do it... when was the last time you changed your oil?

#9 · (Edited)
During this morning i have tested my car again and noticed:

1) during cold, no strange vibrations but keeps his sound....which i dont know if they are weird or not....

2) i went to town and drove for 10 kms no problems

3) went to highway and drove for another 80 kms and when i stopped again i heard that strange sound coming from outside...

4) Also have noticed more vibrations on driver side and no vibrations on passenger side when looking at the hood

I have more videos now from that stuff too...
During these morning, during first time i drove the car, about 1 minute ago, engine started, at cold i dont see nothing unusual, i mean, no weird vibrations....

YouTube - 528i engine after 1min start

After driving for some kms on highway at speeds near 60/100 mph

YouTube - 528i engine noise after highway trip #1
YouTube - BMW 528i engine highway noise trip#2

During this evening once again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zICKLr6Ep1I

Look at the engine right side, near MAF i suppose, that side vibrates too much for my knowledge or it doesnt? I mean for me sounds strange such vibrations on these side....should be less.....or not...

BTW i have to say that engine oscillates a bit....isnt this a engine mount problem too ?! Maybe ?! These was the first thing i thought when i heard and watched these vibrations....

I went for a Inspection II 3000 kms ago and took Castrol Longlife 04 0w30 (not my option, dealer option, before i bought the car).

Thanks!

#8 ·
I agree...VANOS issue.

#12 ·
Get a mechanic to use a sthetoscope to listen around.
It could also be the waterpump bearing about to go bad. First signs of that sound like a train...if it's the waterpump, you should take advantage of this early warning so you don't get stranded and incur more cost/damage.

#13 ·
Well guys i went to dealer today and i heard this:

- no strange/weird sounds, its possible some noise resulting from engine wear.
- compression test results are ok, all cylinder have same compression ratio (i guess its this the right name....)
- possible change to oil....i mean...i told them i had castrol longlife 04 0w30 and they told me this was not the correct one for this engine......they suggested something near 10-40.....
- in the end all its ok !

BTW vanos problems, they told it looks more like tac tac tac tac.....and this wasnt that noise.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.