BMW Werkz banner

E39 Washer jets - common problem?

25K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Granville 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm a very happy E39 newbie who's chuffed with his latest purchase of a '99 528i Touring. Only prob is I seem to only get a small dribble from the windscreen washer jets (rear works fine). Have tried poking some fine wire down the jets, but no real difference. Do they clog up badly, or is there perhaps another common cause (ps. can hear the pump running OK, and there is plenty of liquid in both reservoirs).

Cheers,

Pete

#3 ·
My nozzles ended up getting completely clogged after getting wax in them. I removed them to clean and just ended up breaking the lines going to them...$40 for the nozzles and $200! for the lines (I've got to get into the plastic tubing business!!) See if they're clogged with contaminants or if any of the hoses are kinked...

#4 ·
RE Washer jets

I had the very same problem especially if it was very cold, The water freezes
expands and pops the t peice off the pipe, i've now put antifreeze in the washer bottle. You can get to the washer nozzle by pulling the flap under the bonnet and it's just a case of re connecting :D

#5 ·
Possible solution:

I had the same problem twice on my '97 528i. Both times, the line leading from the resevoir to the to the pump had become loose at the junction that lies on the passenger side of the car back near the windshield. The connector just pushes together and it had just worked itself apart. Hope this helps.:)

#6 ·
Usually mine become clogged by the wax I use when polishing - fortunately a good long 30-40 second blast usually clears them. If not a needle proggled down them may just release enough crap to let them squirt again.

Try popping the bonnet and letting someone use the squirters while you check out the connectors - if it's pissing out under bonnet you need to maybe take the jets and blow them through with air or just adjust/tighten the connections. Also it's not unusual for teh pump to become worn - disconnect the hoses from the jets and try the squirters if you get a good flow and the pump motor sounds fine then it's most def a blockage jet wise - else if you get a gnats piss the pump way well be fucked.

#8 ·
e39 similar problem!

Hi, Im having the same problem, and when I went to remove the tubes the broke into little pieces! The seem to be very brittle. I noticed however that one of the tube was split before i touched it and that when I achivated the pump water was just flowing out into the engine bay. It seems to have set off my airbag light now! has anyone seen this happen before. Frank:mad:shifty:rofl:conf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.