BMW Werkz banner

E39 Traction control light

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Narere 
#1 ·
Okie dokie, this is my second post here...

I've been having a problem with my 98 540i (manual) its got just under 90k on it (not sure if that is relevant or not). Anyway, when driving the car it will jerk (it feels as though I hit the brakes, but I haven't. It never jerks to a side) and then the traction control light will come on. It will do it a few times in a row, and then the check engine light comes on. I do not know what the code for the check engine light is (The check engine light will turn itself off though if the car sits for a day or two) All of the wheel speed sensors are good.

I have read through some of the other threads concerning traction control lights and e39s but my situation seems to be different in the speedometer doesn't stop working, the abs light doesn't come on.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Its definitely something with the traction control, all of the wheel speed sensors have been checked. The stutter is quite random and happens at low or high rmp and low and high speeds in every gear. It also happens with the traction control on and off. After it stutters the asc light comes on but the abs light doesn't. sometimes the check engine light will also come on but usually wont come back on when the car is restarted. Also the fuel economy gauge moves with the stutter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.