E39 Traction Control and ABS warning lights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
DuncanThomas is an unknown quantity at this point
E39 Traction Control and ABS warning lights

My car has developed a problem where the Traction Control and ABS warning lights come on and the car deactivates these functions . If I stop turn off and wait a minute so so re-start and then start driving all is fine for a bit until it happens again: . It can happen at any speed straight driving or when cornering. Any ideas - is it worth getting under the car and spaying with a high pressure hose around the hubs, I sure the sensors are around there are they not.used:

Confused, frustrated and a little skint at present - hence I do not want to send it to the BMW dealer- can anyone help
DuncanThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
npnp is on a distinguished road
Question

I have the same problem. Let me know what you find out.
npnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Me too, just an E34. I have been told its an ABS module.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
You didn't say what year car you had, but it sounds like ABS module failure, which is most common on '99 E39s, but occurs on other years too.

The ABS module can be sent off and rebuilt for about $300, or you can buy a new one for about $600 to $700. I've not had that problem myself, so I'm afraid that's about all I can tell you.
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
muzzydawg is on a distinguished road
Rebuilt?

You say the Controller module can be rebuilt? Where would you go to do this? Do they also handle the reprogaming of the unit? I was just told I needed replacement of the ABS Controller module and I'm not looking forward to the $900 quote they gave me.
muzzydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
npnp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
Me too, just an E34. I have been told its an ABS module.
I dunno... I read somewhere else that it's got something to do with the brake sensor being dirty, that the sensor is a magnet and that dirt causes the sensor error. I don't know if it's true, but the problem on my car (E39) goes away when it rains.

Anyhow, I'd like to try to clean the brakes with brake cleaner fluid, but I've never done it. If someone knows the procedure, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
npnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
DONCANADA is on a distinguished road
Hi guys I am new to this community. Read all the threads regarding the ABS ASC problems in 5 series. Mine is a bit different
ok. I replaced the passenger side lower control arm and washed the engine that day. next day filled up the gas and started the car... found out my traction light and abs lights are on. Lost speedo, lost cruise control and fuel consumption guage not working.
Tried to scan the code .. NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE ABS !!!
Scanner goes in enging, transmission etc but no communication with the abs
Read all the threads if the module is not working the BRAKE LIGHT should come on the dash aswell. but i dont have any brake light on. Its just the ABS ASC permanent all the time.
Checked all the wires from pass front wheel sensor and abs module and the fuses for the abs and traction as posted on other threads.. all looks good
Please help...
I OWN A 2001 530i
DONCANADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
My advice is Start with the Basics first...
Get under her and clean the rotor fins with a brush (Toothbrush would be best but takes longer) and brake cleaner aerosol... Maybe remove the sensors and do the same !!!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)