BMW Werkz banner

E39 - Squeaky suspension and Screechy wheel

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My 1998 E39 has recently developed Squeaky suspension syndrome; I've stolen the link to someone else video for demonstrative purposes, however for all intensive purposes this could be my car.

MOV01698 - Putfile.com

The offside rear suspension seems a few inches lower than the nearside, and in the last few days the nearside rear wheel has developed a painful screeching metal on metal type sound hilst driving.

So my first guess is replacing the bushes for Squeaks. Does this sound like a valid start? Also do you think the nearside Srceech could be a result of the nearside suspension.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Duffer. :p

#2 ·
Squeaky suspension normally means your joints are wearing, as for the wheel do you mean when brakes applied???

#3 ·
Hey Marti,

No the screeching sound is under normal driving conditions when not applying the brakes. I also noticed that if I give it some power when cornering to the right; for example on a roundabout, it sounds as if the noise stops off, as if maybe whatever is rubbing and causing the screech is lifting of momentarily.

Thanks, Duffer

#4 · (Edited)
You have deffo got a bush gone on the suspension or in may even be the strut shock dried out.
Could be your back plate loose, it may even be a wheel bearing which it sounds more likely to be, as its screeching under normal operation and when your going round a corner etc. you are displacing the load weight to that bearing.

#6 ·
Thanks Everyone,

The screeching from the wheel is unbearable at the moment, especially when reversing. I have a few suggestions from you guys to check re the squeaks, however I'd appreciate any additional comments regarding the wheel screech.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Wheel screech ...........bearing or you could have a stone got it self stuck between the back plate and disc, jack it up spin the wheel and see, or take the wheel off an see if theres a stone or something caught, I presume that the pads are good???.
It might be the caliper sticking on!! so jack it up and see if the wheel goes around freely, to be honest I would have thought you would have done this already, so it must be a bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.