E39 Radiator Replacement-Behr or Nissens? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 540i 2002 Blk/Blk
Photos:
GlenRocks is on a distinguished road
E39 Radiator Replacement-Behr or Nissens?

Hi,

I am new here but did read postings about issues with plastic Behr radiator in comparison with Nissens radiator. Suggestion was use Nissens over Behr, from what I gathered. So thought of asking in the forum, whats the final verdict from experienced users here? Behr or Nissens is preferred on E39?

P.S. Any suggestions on the workshop in chicago area to get them replaced, other than dealer shops, would be appreciated.

TS
GlenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
The plastic end tanks on my 740iL (E38) started leaking, which is apparently a common issue for that model, I elected to replace it with this all aluminium unit from Zionsville, permanent but not a cheap solution.
Zionsville Autosport: BMW E39 - E38 Super Duty Cooling Kit
It also addressed the other common issue of disintegrating themal fan blades and cracking expansion tanks at the same time.

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Zionsville...I did see that in some other forum too..certainly not cost effective..

compared to Behr or Nissans!!

My 540i sport doesn't put much miles but seems that at 32k miles in 8 yrs, neck showed a finger to me...wonder if I didn't mix enough water with concentrate coolant..but realized that 540s have this inherent issue. One does get surprised by quality of parts at times.

I guess I will have to find someone who can work on my car within Chicago area as it seems that most dealers here assume that they will get what they ask.

So kindly if anyone in chicago area, plz let me know if you can refer to me someone competitive in the area...would appreciate that! At least I can work with him down the lane to upgrade the software and other shu-bangs!

Thanks Brettski...you seem to be very resourceful..as I read few of your postings!

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all in US!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
I guess how cost effective the Zionsville unit comes down to how much driving you do, and in what sorts of places. I am in Australia and do a reasonable bit of country driving which means that parts are expensive if Murphy's law comes in to play in a break down. With a young family I didn't feel inclined to find out the hard way when the OEM unit was going to fail (again), so I went with a more permanent option. If you are someone that changes their car regularly, then its probably not the right solution for you.

If you are even basically mechanically inclined, changing a radiator isn't too difficult with very basic tools required. It helps with two people onthe job.

Most of the advice I offer is just repeated from what I have received here and through my own research, so I can't/don't claim to any expert, and a lot of issues canbe solved through a logical process of elimination. (not always though)
Good luck with the repairs and enjoy your time here.

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
I agree...

with low mileage, looks like I can always try Nissens (if I can try Swedes vodka..lol) or even Zionsville as I certainly will keep the car for quite sometime.

Thanks Brettske for responding... this forum is certainly good way for me to get empowered with knowledge. Appreciate it.

I would still like to hook up with chicago area members so that they can direct me to right workshop(s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)