BMW Werkz banner

E39 Petrol MB52 Sluggish acceleration, sudden stalling

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Wertex 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, i'm new here, and i wan't to share with you some problems i had with my 5er and the solutions ( atleast for me) for these problems, First of all i have an 1997 Bmw 5 series with the 2.0l petrol engine, when i bought the car it had a really really sluggish acceleration just like a car wich has like only50-60 horsepower but the engine sound was really good, didnt had any bad sound, no mechanical problems with the engine, the only problem was the really bad acceleration , lack of engine power, massive lack of it, and long starting up time, when i switched the ignition it took like 5-6 second for the engine to start, and not because the battery or the electromotor was bad and the RPM increased and decreased really slow even in neutral, so first of all i checked the exhaust system , ofcourse as is suspected the amount of air ( Burned Gas) was really low wich came out from the exhaust system i mean, for a 6 cilinder 2.0l petrol engine, it was really low, so first of all i decided to take down the CATALYTIC Convertor, and i fully removed from inside the filter wich was partially melted from the hot air, and blocked from the co2 , so that didnt let the car to ''breathe out'' the gases from the engine, when i fitted back the EMPTY catalitic convertor on the exhaust system suddenly the engine gain a lot of power back and the RPM was reacting waay better when i accelerated, so ( FORE ME) this was a solution for my problem, so after that i started noticing that it still didnt had the power that should have, it had way better acceleration but still not as good as it should be so i took out the MAF sensor, wich is located on the air filter system it has a round connection cable, so i took it out, and i noticed that on the inside of the maf sensor it had some dust on it i cleaned it with window cleaner, ( it had alcohol in it) and just gently wiped with cotton whool, than i let it dry out and putted back on the car and already it had way more power than before that, also NOTICE THAT Cleaning a MAF sensor is usually NOT PERMANENT solution, to be sure that the problem wont come back i RECOMEND to BUY a new MAF sensor, its not that expensive , i only cleaned it to test it if that is the problem or not, and when i saw the significant increase in engine power the next day i bought a new MAF sensor, and it had even more power, SO THis again solved one of my problems relatid to engine power, so i had a BMW wich regained a lot of his engine power and i started feeling that 150 horsepower, BUT STILL IT WASNT that great , I kne that i still had some issues, with it THE SYMPTOMS WHERE THE FOLLOWING: before 3000 rpm the car still didnt had his full acceleration power that is should and AFTER 3000 RPM Until 6000 RPM THE car starteg gaining power but ALSO HAD a lot of HESITATION ON POWER you can feel it if i want to describe the feeling is like when you can feel the power of the car but it has little powercuts in the acceleration you feel some kind of HESITATION on acceleration at high rpms, and i STIll had THE starting problem ( it usually took 5-6 seconds for the engine to start up ) and i still had the problem that when i stopped at a red light the engine suddenly stopped just like when you turn off the ignition, after i restarted the car it worked percfectly again but this sudden engine stop happened a lot of time so firstly i tought that i might have vacuum leak somewhere, and checked the vacuum pipes, all were fine, , the source of the problema came from the Camshaft sensor/ Driving Shaft sensor, i just replaced it and the car finally worked , started perfectly had the amount of power what i was expecting from him! I hope i helped one of you with these tips / solutions .

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.