E39 Passenger Window button works but.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zork007 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E39 Passenger Window button works but..

the drivers side does not... Also mirror button does not work and lock does work on passenger side.

Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zork007 View Post
the drivers side does not... Also mirror button does not work and lock does work on passenger side.

Any suggestions??
Drivers side button for the passenger side window doesnt work? Or does the driver's side window not roll up/down?

On the lock, what do you mean? door locks are central button in the center console on E39.

Check the connections to the buttons for the window and the mirror, take them out, clean them up good. Sometimes the contacts can get dirty and then they no longer make electrical contact.

A suggestion for future posts: be very specific in your questions, and add any troubleshooting you may have done already.

Jason / 1997 528i
#3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
First let me thank you for the help.

Well I quess I didnt make it clear..but Drivers side button for the passenger side window doesnt work. Drivers side window does roll down. The buttons on the drivers side dont roll down the window or allow me to adjust the mirrors (both sides)

As far as the locks are concerned...I can lock and unlock all doors ..except the passenger side. The center console button and the key lock does not unlock the door or lock it. I have to manual open the door with the inside handle to unlock it.

Also I dont know if this will have any bearing on this but..my car was broken into a few months back and they smashed the passengers side window. a month or so I started having problems with that lock.

You mentioned the switches may need to be cleaned...is there a diy that can help me out with this? Any help would be most appreciated. IMO I believe it is the switches in the drives side door cuz it just makes sense...although since owning this BMW I can say some thing just dont make sense.

Speaking of which...I have owned many cars in my days and I must say this car is the ultimate, love driving it and I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago!

Thanks
Mark
#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
no DIY's that I know of, but it should be pretty straightforward. I can't remember off the top of my head if the buttons will come out without having to take the door panel off, but I would take the door panel off first just to be safe. It comes off easy enough anyway, it is just pressed into the door with plastic clips. be gentle, but firm when pulling it off, so that you don't break any of the clips. Anyway, once you get the button module out, it should be readily apparent how to clean up the contacts, or take it apart (if that is possible) to get into the meat of things. When I say clean, i mean look at any place where metal makes contact on metal to complete an electrical circuit. If there is any gunk on the metal, then the contact can't be made, hence the switch won't do its job. Just take a little wd-40 or something like that (sparingly!) and some q-tips and that should do the trick. Honestly, I haven't had to do this with my Bimmer, but my previous car (Honda Prelude) did the exact same thing that you explain for the passenger side window. I was able to take the driver's side button cluster completely apart, cleaned up the electrical contacts and when I replaced it back, everything worked like a champ. Same thing happened on my Yukon that you described for the side view mirror adjuster. Just took the button apart, cleaned up the contacts where the button makes the electrical connection, and voila! mirrors started working fine again.

On the lock, sounds like the lock mechanism on that door is either broken, or disconnected. Take the door panel off and do an investigation.

Jason / 1997 528i

Last edited by winters97E39; 05-16-2008 at 12:18 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again for the help. I took the drivers side control panel out and took apart the unit but there was not any metal to metal contacts to clean. Basically there is a circuit board with tiny (1cm) metal buttons for each switch..there were 3 for each rocker switch. This board was then covered with a thin rubber overlay. Then there was plastic parts for each switch so when you hit the rocker switch it clicked one of the metal buttons.

Well after taking that out Ive come to the comclusion that maybe its not in either of the door switches but maybe in the wiring that leads from the switch box to the other the actual component (ie mirror, window ) Is there a relay in between these two.

Anyways thanks for your help

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)