BMW Werkz banner

E39 Navigation/Stereo problems

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  sdfrog177 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
has anyone had a problem with the 2000 540i MK11 navigation/stereo system shutting off randomly. The problem I have recently encountered is that after driving for 20 mins or so, if I turn the car off and then restart again the navigation screen will read INSERT A SUITABLE CD. The screen will be black and the stereo will shut off, you can turn the stereo back on but the screen will stay black and it will only play music for a couple minutes and then shut off again. -Disreguard thread, I found the problem to be the MK11 navigation system. I guess they dont like to last longer than 5 years, time to upgrade to a MK111.

#2 ·
nav problems

hello,

my 2000 E39 just began experiencing similar problems. The screen flickered and is now black, except the time at the bottom is still there, but the time is inaccurate. The stereo is doing the same thing you describe. So, sounds like my nav system is a gonner? Any good tips/deals found on upgrading? Any info would help!
Thanks

#3 ·
Hello,
sounds like you have the exact same problem as myself. I just purchased a slightly used new nav system (mk11) off ebay for $275.00 as soon as it gets here I will post the results. From the research I have done on these things it sounds like thats what it needs. You can upgrade to a MK111 if you want, better graphics/split screen ect but its alot more $. Check ebay and you will find a deal, these things are big bucks at the dealer.

#5 ·
Since there wasnt to much feedback on this thread I guess this is a completely "rare" issue BMW's suffer from. Anyways a new MK11 nav unit off ebay took care of the problem. Hopefully this can save a fello BMW owner hours of troubleshooting, and alot of $ if this happens to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.