E39 MKII Navigation Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emzet is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E39 MKII Navigation Problem

Hi everyone,

Just purchased my new-old 2000 528it. The MKII navigation that it is equipped with seems to operate only one in every ten-or-so tries. Usually I get the "No CD" or "Please wait" messages, after which the navigation option is grayed out from the option list until the car is resatrted.

I have two old but original disks in decent condition and it happens with both of them. Do you have any suggestions on where to start looking? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Just noticed that the computer unit in the trunk gets pretty hot - do not know if it's normal. It has both the "on" and "CD in" lights lit.

BTW, The actual msgs displayed on the screen are "Pls wait a moment..." or "No CD in navigation computer"
#3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I guess it is not too popular problem with the nav system.

I'll keep trying, thou...

Has anyone tried doing any repair to the navigation computer / nav cd drive? Any luck or pointers you can share? From the tests I have done so far, it looks like the GPS signal is being picked up no problem, and the trouble is related to the drive not reading the map CD reliably. I was actually thinking of attempting cleaning the lens.
The quality of the map CDs I have seems OK (there are only minor scratches on them), but I wonder if making fresh backup copies of them would help (is that possible at all???).
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you have a faulty Nav computer. This is becoming more common now as the MK2's are getting older. I havent heard of anyone being able to repair the units but it never hurts to look around. If you end up replacing it I highly recommend upgrading to a Mk4 DVD unit. Its basically a plug n play replacement and itll be a nice upgrade from what you have now.

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
DT, thanks a lot for responding and for your advise.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but I would try my luck with fixing it before spending money on new drive. In case I am successful with the fix, I will post it here.

The upgrade idea is certainly tempting. You are absolutely right that the MKIV looks (and I am sure performs) much better, but the upgrade is a bit expensive.

I understand there would be a need for both the DVD drive and the screen, right? I did a little bit of searching and it looks like the DVD drive can be purchased for ~$600, and ~$900 is needed for the screen unit...

Regards.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The Mark IV will actually work fine with your smaller 4:3 screen if you decide to upgrade just the Navi.

DT

#7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I was finally able to get to it... Just finished cleaning the laser lens using an air gun equipped with a long plastic pipe of ~1mm diameter, which I slid through the CD slot and pointed straight at the lens. Seems to be working fine... Looks like there was just some dust accumulated on top of the lens.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well that did not last long... The navigation computer is back to its more-not-working-than-working mode. I guess I will be shopping for a new drive since cannot figure the fix for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)