E39 Heavy Steering - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 PM
arh
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arh is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi
I've got an 1999 E39 523i fitted with Mtec suspension and 18" alloy wheels. Over the past few days I have noticed that the steering has become somewhat heavy. The feel is constant but I can feel a little more resistance than normal when turning. There is no noise, no change with speed and the power fluid level is fine.
Any ideas on what the problem could be? The car is fitted with servotronic (variable) steering.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM
arh
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I've shown 2 mechanics. One says it could be the pump but I should consider getting the fluid changed first or It could even be the rack. The other mechanic says hes not sure if its the rack or the pump. Does anyone have any further thoughts? Could it be bushes or the ball joints?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think that it's the bushes. The ball joints cant really get damaged in a way to cause difficult steering. (unless of course you feel like burying your front end in the back of a truck) I would think it would be the pump. Question: When you turn the wheel, can you turn it a small distance (1/4 - 1 inch) before it becomes sluggish, or is it a constant?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:38 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Has it been there since the new wheels?

New wheels / lower suspension will definately make the steering harder to turn.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 02:54 PM
arh
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The wheels and suspension have been on the car since new. The steering feels more normal if I adjust the steering wheel but then after a few seconds it becomes a bit heavy again. Not really much difference if you turn a small distance. I have noticed that the steering does feel a bit more normal at times so the the problem is not always constant as I first thought. Could it be dirty fluid?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:59 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by arh@Jan 29 2005, 08:54 PM
The wheels and suspension have been on the car since new.* The steering feels more normal if I adjust the steering wheel but then after a few seconds it becomes a bit heavy again. Not really much difference if you turn a small distance. I have noticed that the steering does feel a bit more normal at times so the the problem is not always constant as I first thought. Could it be dirty fluid?
[snapback]281809[/snapback]
The symptoms don't include any unusual noise from the pump/pulley/bearing/belts. As you suspected above; start troubleshooting by changing the fluid 1st. Not much money and possibly is due for a change. Then take it from there.

good luck
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 AM
n00b

Qamar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Jan 30 2005, 12:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Jan 30 2005, 12:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-arh@Jan 29 2005, 08:54 PM
The wheels and suspension have been on the car since new.* The steering feels more normal if I adjust the steering wheel but then after a few seconds it becomes a bit heavy again. Not really much difference if you turn a small distance. I have noticed that the steering does feel a bit more normal at times so the the problem is not always constant as I first thought. Could it be dirty fluid?
The symptoms don't include any unusual noise from the pump/pulley/bearing/belts. As you suspected above; start troubleshooting by changing the fluid 1st. Not much money and possibly is due for a change. Then take it from there.

good luck
billb
[snapback]281869[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Hi Guys

I have 530i, V-8, 1995 model. i also feel that the steering is slightly heavier. the car has done 107000 Km to date and the powere steering oil has never been changed.
Can anyone guide me that this heavines is on account of not changing the fluid. If yes then pl tell me as how to do that.
Worm regards
Qamar
#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Qamar+Feb 1 2005, 06:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qamar @ Feb 1 2005, 06:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Jan 30 2005, 12:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-arh
Quote:
@Jan 29 2005, 08:54 PM

good luck
billb
Hi Guys

I have 530i, V-8, 1995 model. i also feel that the steering is slightly heavier. the car has done 107000 Km to date and the powere steering oil has never been changed.
Can anyone guide me that this heavines is on account of not changing the fluid. If yes then pl tell me as how to do that.
Worm regards
Qamar
[snapback]283854[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Heavy steering can be caused by worn strut top bearings in high mileage cars; also can be due to a fluid/reservoir problems. You may want to consider flushing or replace the power steering fluids/ at least for now.

P.s. Extra big tires may also contribute to heavy steering compared with the stock wheels/tires.

regards
billb
#9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:31 PM
n00b

Qamar is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Feb 1 2005, 08:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Feb 1 2005, 08:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Qamar@Feb 1 2005, 06:35 AM
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-arh
Quote:
Quote:

good luck
billb

Hi Guys

Worm regards
Qamar

Heavy steering can be caused by worn strut top bearings in high mileage cars; also can be due to a fluid/reservoir problems. You may want to consider flushing or replace the power steering fluids/ at least for now.

P.s. Extra big tires may also contribute to heavy steering compared with the stock wheels/tires.

regards
billb
[snapback]284048[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Billb. My problem is solved after changing the power steering oil.
Regards
Qamar
#10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:01 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Qamar+Feb 2 2005, 04:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qamar @ Feb 2 2005, 04:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Feb 1 2005, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-arh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

good luck
billb

Hi Guys

Worm regards
Qamar

regards
billb
Regards
Qamar
[snapback]284409[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Glad it is sorted out

Note: I sent you a PM/Email with further info. did you recieve it?
regards
billb
#11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
arh
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Feb 2 2005, 05:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Feb 2 2005, 05:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Qamar@Feb 2 2005, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Feb 1 2005, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-arh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

good luck
billb

Hi Guys

Worm regards
Qamar

regards
billb

Regards
Qamar
[snapback]284409[/snapback]
Glad it is sorted out

Note: I sent you a PM/Email with further info. did you recieve it?
regards
billb
[snapback]284421[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Hi

Does anyone have instructions on how to do this or is it best to get it done by a garage?
ARH.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
5th Gear Member

Well..you may want to consider either:

1. take the little hose from the buttom of the canister out..this will drain the fluid.

2. Or do what I do using what I call the "Turkey baster" which sucks out all the fluids out of the canister then refill with fresh fluids.

Note: make sure you read what it says on the reservior cap..either ATF or Power fluid.
regards
billb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)