E39 Headlights Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
timabe is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead
Ok, I'm sure that this is not as complicated as it seems....

The right lowbeam bulb on my 2001 525i is out. I have pulled the bulb unit out and it is marked Hella H7. Questions:

1. I have seen replacement bulbs referred to as Xenon, OEM, high-intensity, blue, yellow, 55w, 100w, etc..... I have also seen replacement bulbs priced from $4.99 all the way to $125.00. What's up with that? What bulbs do I need anyway?

2. My original sticker tells me I have "halogen free-form lowbeam headlights and fog lights". What do I have for highbeams? Can the highbeams be replaced with halogen? If so, is this as easy as installing different bulbs?

Thanks for any and all help.
timabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Basically, if I understand correctly, you currently have oem halogen bulbs. You have a couple options. You could go to a Kragons or other auto parts place and get a OEM H7 bulb. However, the route I would take in your situation is to go to an autoparts store and pick up two Slyania Silverstar bulbs. Don't buy just one because the differnce in light and color is way too different. The most expensive route (remember you get what you pay for) is to go to a website like jlevisw.com and get some Xenon bulbs. If im not mistaken, your car already has projectors, but the xenons will run you about $300. This is the route I took and I am most happy with the results. Just do not buy fake xenon bulbs that some people offer, Silverstars are the best halogens you can get, or like I said before, you can move to xenons...

Good luck! and welcome to the forums
Old 01-24-2005, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the info. I ordered 2 sets of the silverstars so the high and low beams would match. A quick check on eBay was interesting....it was amazing how many options there were for H7 bulbs. I appreciate the advice to get the Sylvanias and have followed it, but what is up with the 8000k bulbs for about 10 bucks each? Are these the fakes you referred to?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
all the bulbs for 10$ are the fakes, really. and remember when your ready to go to xenon lighting, its not just bulbs that you have to buy.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Ok, now I'm confused again. I thought I bought Xenon bulbs (Silverstar)? What would I have to upgrade to use them?

//Who knew headlights could be so complicated!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
No, like I said previously, Silverstars are the best (xenon looking) option on the market without speding $300 on real xenons. The silverstars are still halogen and will be plug and play. True Xenons need to have a xenon ballast to change the current because xenons don't take as much power yet the output is much better.

In more simple terms...get them and put them in nothing else needed, they will be much better then the old ones...
Old 01-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Slvr e39 -

OK, I checked Jlevi's site and am now confused myself. In my case, unlike timabe, I have no angel eyes in my 1999 540, and in fact have plain old halogen H7 bulbs with amber (yuk!) turn signals.

As I understood it, for my halogen 1999, I could upgrade one of three ways:
1. Go with clear corner signal lenses without changing the headlights themselves.
2. Go with halogen angel eyes (no re-wiring)
3. Upgrade to Xenon and angel eyes (have to change wiring, add ballast).

From e-bay prices i've seen, option 1 looks to be about $150, Option #2 looks to be about $300 - $400, and option 3 can run anywhere from $800 to $1800 depending on where you go, and whether you get the required ballasting.

Is that right so far? Anyway, Which option is it that Jlevi is selling on his website for DDEs? He has a $250 package and a $449 package. Which does each do? Which would I need to buy from Jlevi to upgrade to halogen DDE? Xenon DDE? used

Thanks for your help!!
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
hey eric,
well, personally I would avoid ebay on this matter if you want to upgrade to xenons. I dont know where you get this idea of "rewiring". For the Xenons, the ballast takes the connection that would usually go to the h7 bulb, puts it through the ballast and comes out with another 2 ft cable strait to the new xenon bulb. WA LA! You have xenons...

For angel eyes it is as easy as tapping a positive wire running through your engine compartment (explained in the instructions that come with) they you also have angel eyes.... YOUR DONE!

to do that setup and have headlights like mine(look at my sig, they are beautiful) get the P39 from jlevisw.com CLICK HERE FOR P39

Your car doesn't have epilepsoid projectors so you can't just plug and play some xenons in your car. You have to take the route I did, working with jlevi was the best and he is our site sponsor...

let me know if you have any problems, if you need any extensive help, I can get jlevi on here to answer some questions because my knowledge is not yet what his is...

Quote:
Is that right so far? Anyway, Which option is it that Jlevi is selling on his website for DDEs? He has a $250 package and a $449 package. Which does each do? Which would I need to buy from Jlevi to upgrade to halogen DDE? Xenon DDE?
To more simply answer this question if you couldn't catch it above, your car doesn't have epilepsoid projectors (the round ball of glass looking thing) which are required to run xenons because they have a cut off so you dont blind the hell outta everyone
Old 01-25-2005, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Another note: Don't touch the glass part with your fingers. The oils on your hand make a hot spot on the glass and it will burn out REALLY fast. If you do by accident, a lot of them come with an alcohol pad to wipe them down before installing, just a hint.

I used to sell car audio and accesories, you wouldnt believe how many times this happens.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Jan 25 2005, 07:39 AM
Another note: Don't touch the glass part with your fingers. The oils on your hand make a hot spot on the glass and it will burn out REALLY fast. If you do by accident, a lot of them come with an alcohol pad to wipe them down before installing, just a hint.

I used to sell car audio and accesories, you wouldnt believe how many times this happens.
[snapback]278715[/snapback]
Good tip! This has been S.O.P. ever since the advent of halogen bulbs back in the '80's. I always wear latex (or nitrile) gloves when working on my car, but I am still careful not let anything like grease or foreign material get from my glove onto the bulb.

BTW, the latex glove thing has been great for hand cleaning and in fact I threw out my trusty old can of Go-Jo. Now I just peel the mess off my hands and go back inside the house when I am done working on the car... B)
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
YO! Slvr e39
what's up man
for you headlights - did you pay like 1600 bucks or so?

also how bright are your 6000k lights? i got xenon lights on my 99 528i but no angel eyes. If you've seen the stock xenon lights, comparing to them, are your lights brighter or not?

also, if you know about the lights, can i order halogen angel eyes and put my xenons in them?
thanks for help

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Its really not recommended to put Xenons in a halogen housing, even if the halogen housing uses projectors. Why? The optics are different and the lightwave comes out in different shapes in Xenon and Halogen. They will "work" and cut off as they should, but... it's really limiting the output of the xenons in terms of throw and some width.

The higher in the temperature rating (K) you get, the more "color" you get, blue(6000k), bluer, bluer, bluer, bluest, purple (around 8,000k) etc etc, but the downfall is less output. The BEST xenons for output happens to be OEM and with MINOR projector modifications you can make an OEM 4300 or 4800k bulb look as blue, if not bluer than the 6000k bulbs without harming the output. 6,000k puts out a little less light on the road than oem, etc etc.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Interesting stuff....I'm not sure I completely understand the big deal about true xenon headlights, but then again I've never had them so I guess I can't make an accurate comparison.

I did install the Silverstars yesterday. I noticed a slight difference from the OEM bulbs at low beam (slightly whiter light...not enough to get excited about) and a HUGE difference from OEM on high beam. My high beams are now like a helicopter spotlight. Not sure what, if anything, this indicates but thought I would pass it on.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
YO! Slvr e39
what's up man
for you headlights - did you pay like 1600 bucks or so?

also how bright are your 6000k lights? i got xenon lights on my 99 528i but no angel eyes. If you've seen the stock xenon lights, comparing to them, are your lights brighter or not?

also, if you know about the lights, can i order halogen angel eyes and put my xenons in them?
thanks for help
i paid 700 or so...got them from jlevisw.com

the 6000k's are good, I wish I got 5000k or even 4500 (close to stock) tho. Maybe in the future ill change
Old 01-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
so, if i want to get angel eyes and i do have xenons in my car already, what's my best choice as far as you think.

should i just buy the lights for 700 or keep my stock xenons and install a neon wire that will make them look like angel eyes?

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)