E39 Eml And Asc Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Marco528iA is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi there,

I hope someone here on this forum can help me with a problem I have with my 528iA from 10/98:

2 days ago suddenly both the EML light and the ASC light went on, (resulting the car to behave as if ASC is switched on because the car is for example driving on snow), thus reducing engine power...

I have cleaned all the electronical connections connecting to the engine management computers and all other electronical connections (which are all located in the same box under the interior compartment air filter), which seems to somewhat help cure the problem. Everything now works normally at times, but sometimes it falls back to the same problem...

Does anybody know what is causing this broblem and how I can fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
E39 have common problems with the ASC control modules. sometimes it is just a wheel speed sensor and other times the whole control module has to be replaced. take it to the dealer so thay can read out the faults storred in the module
#3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 02:02 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
OK, thanks, but before I go to the dealer I'd like to check the wheel sensors miself. Can anyone instruct me on where to look and what to look for?

Since this is such a common issue, is BMW covering (some of) the replacement costs? (Already had to replace a front wheel bearing, and a thermostat...)
#4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 08:52 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco528iA@Mar 19 2005, 03:02 AM
OK, thanks, but before I go to the dealer I'd like to check the wheel sensors miself. Can anyone instruct me on where to look and what to look for?

Since this is such a common issue, is BMW covering (some of) the replacement costs? (Already had to replace a front wheel bearing, and a thermostat...)
[snapback]314555[/snapback]
May be the ABS sensor wire was damaged (when pulled down on strut) when you changed the front bearing...did u do it yourself? see below for location/bolts

[attachmentid=19897]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abs_sensor.jpg
Views:	7063
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	18700  
#5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:22 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Good point! I had it done by the garage, but I will definitively have a closer look at theese wires. Thanks.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm, had a quick look, and the wire seems ok (from the outside...). Is there any other way I can verify if these are still ok?

I now also noticed a strange noise coming from underneeth the backside of the car when I locked the car. Sounded like a small gear (servo?) rattling ("brushing teeth"..) and at the same time as if some kind of liquid with air bubbles was being squeezed through a tube....?

Stopped after about 10 seconds, only managed to reproduce it once again... Would this be related? I could not exactly locate where the sound came from, but it seemed to be coming from the area of the diferential..
#7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:08 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
When locking your doors you will be locking your trunk at the same time...is this what you've heard?
#8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Nah, it defititively came from underneeth the car...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:44 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco528iA@Mar 19 2005, 01:16 PM
Nah, it defititively came from underneeth the car...
[snapback]314700[/snapback]
See if u can reproduce!! good luck
#10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I think you guys may be barking up the wrong tree here. Because the EML lamp is on and you have a loss of power this leads me to believe you have more of a throttle motor problem, or a sensor or wiring that would effect the throtle motor. It is impossible to troubleshoot these problems without reading out the faultcodes. That is the 1st step, without that you are only grasping at straws.
DT

DT

#11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Tried finding instructions on how to acces and read fault codes but was unsuccesfull...

Did manage to find an item on BMWTips.com about ASC problems related to problem with cable running from ASC unit to throttle. I'm not sure if I found the right thing, but I now checked and cleaned all the connectors coming from a small black, plastic unit located next to the air intake, one of which also seems to lead to the throttle...

After all my cleaning exercises both the EML and ASC warning lights are now switched off normally after turning the key to ignition mode, but I'm not sure if things are stable. Today they only came back on once and they were off again after trying after a couple of minutes again... Will have to put some miles on it the next few days and see what happens...

(the thing is I CAN still drive the car while these 2 lights are switched on, is just seems as if the ignition is switched of half way when I hit the pedal. If I hit is carefully I can drive the car and reach up to 80Km/h. If I try to go faster it seems to slow down (as if it is cutting the igniition) and I then also seem to hear some kind of rattling noise coming from the front wheels (vagely identical to when the ABS kicks in))

In the mean time I'd still be interested in accessing and reading fault codes, so if you can direct me to some instructions that would be great.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 03:47 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
There is no way to access the codes without a special scanner. If you want to get to the bottom of this you may have to spend some $$ to have the faults at least read. You cant expect to get to the bottom of problems on complicated electrical systems without either 1) having the tools and the knowledge or 2) paying someone who does. Your only other option is guessing at what the problem is and sometimes this will cost you more $$ in the long run.

DT

DT

#13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 12:26 AM
5th Gear Member

2 days ago suddenly both the EML light and the ASC light went on, (resulting the car to behave as if ASC is switched on because the car is for example driving on snow), thus reducing engine power...

Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970+Mar 18 2005, 06:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bryan1970 @ Mar 18 2005, 06:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>E39 have common problems with the ASC control modules. sometimes it is just a wheel speed sensor and other times the whole control module has to be replaced. take it to the dealer so thay can read out the faults storred in the module
[snapback]314334[/snapback]
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Mar 19 2005, 09:52 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Marco528iA
Quote:
@Mar 19 2005, 03:02 AM

[snapback]314555[/snapback]

May be the ABS sensor wire was damaged (when pulled down on strut) when you changed the front bearing...did u do it yourself? see below for location/bolts

[attachmentid=19897]
[snapback]314614[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you guys may be barking up the wrong tree here.

How So?

regards
billb
#14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 05:58 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Pushed the car up to 180Kmh and the problem kicked back in again... ghead
#15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think i know what DT is getting at here, becasue i misunderstood the original post.
Marco said that his car is loosing power just like when the DSC is activating on the snow. i read it as the system was turned on and it didn't work on the snow, yeah i don't know what i was thinking must have been late. but now knowing that the car is loosing power when it isn't supposed to there probablly IS something wrong with either the throttle body wiring or the t-body itself. or if your car still has a throttle cable there might be a problem with the DSC t-body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)