e39 backup-lights..any taillights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ron-e-g is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e39 backup-lights..any taillights

Hello, So I just bought this 2002 530i. I notice there is no back-up lights. I open the trunk and take a look. What is this? bulbs with no wires? And nothing but holes where the back-up lights should be? Then upon further inspection I see that the tail light assembly is on some sort of grid! Well I think to myself Thats cool. It's not the Back-up switch...or some other unknown and probably expensive thing. I have to go to the local BMW dealer any way to get a second key so I'll just pick-up a couple of those plastic twist in thingies. First blow..key..$170.00 (and battery..not changeable) second..those plastic thingies....$78.00 What's up with that? Anyway I'm a pretty crafty Guy (even if I do say so myself) So I figure, I'll go on ebay and pick a couple up...na da! What's the real deal on these things? Anybody?

2002 530i

Last edited by ron-e-g; 03-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The BMW keys are pretty expensive. Their laser cut in New Jersey and overnight couriers to the dealership. The chip inside is part of the reason of the cost. As for the taillights the bulbs sit into what's calle a "lamp socket" and then sit in the housing. The sockets are $17 at the dealer. At least mine were. They wear out over time and need to be replaced. RealOem.com has a parts diagram so you can get the part number. It's different from the one in my E36 I think.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks,Lord Vader. "Lamp socket". Well Where I live..they cost $37.00 at the dealer. And ebay has lots of front headlights, fog-lights, side-markers, even third taillights but not one....back-up "socket"

Hey, you and me the only ones around here?

2002 530i
#4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
4DoorWhore

Where do you live? That's a little outrageous IMO. Their are several OEM part retailers that will probably have one for cheaper.

Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW
RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog
Return Home
Www.ecstuning.com

There are more, but these are a few examples.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yea, I kinda thought so too! My previous car was a Volvo 850 turbo so I'm use to high prices but...really? and special order to boot! seems the back-up have a different part #.

Off topic, I get a "check side lights" along with the obvious "check back up lights" code when I start this machine, any ideas why?

2002 530i
#6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
4DoorWhore

The dealer has the sockets, or should. I walked in and take to the parts guy and he had them in stock in the back. I grabbed 2. The check light may be because it can't sense if the tail lights are working. That's common. If something is wrong the car usually alerts you. Check the bulbs, sockets, and wiring connectors and then check your fuses.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yea. No the dealer doesn't carry them. So..if the tail and all other lights work, But the obc doesn't read from one it will say "check side lights"? Is there one that Say's "check tail or even head lights"? What is this side-light attention? Not the ones on the side to warn of a turn? They work fine. Or should I center my attention to one of these?

2002 530i
#8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
4DoorWhore

Start by visually inspecting all of your lights to make sure they are or are not working. When my taillight burned out it said "taillight failure" not "check taillights". Mine was because the socket wore out and was loose. Replacing it fixed it. If all the bulbs are good and te sockets are sitting firm in the assembly then check the fuses.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Lord Vader.

2002 530i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)