E39 Auto hold Gears in Normal Drive Mode - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
gashbag

Car:
Photos:
Hi All,

I am new so take it easy with me,

I have a 1996 E39 528 and when i drive and excelerate hard the car will hold that gear until either i redline it or go steptronic and change maually.

I dont think it is the box but hope that someone can shed some light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
Well...bmw's have a switch below the throttle called a kickdown, when you have the car floored, the BMW's ECU tells the car that you are floored and want all the power it can give, so therefore, it shifts at the redline.

If you dont want that shift, then dont accelerate so hard!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
gashbag

Car:
Photos:
Thanks,

I know all about kickdown, apologies for not explaining correctly, the issue is that i excelerate and then back off or i only have half throttle exceleration and the car holds that gear, it should like it does most of the time change at around 3- 4 grand rpm, but for some reason it does'nt.

I have asked about the box fluid and BMW told me that it is good for life.

Gash
Old 09-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
deported is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like your software is confused into thinking it's in steptronic mode. Did you try disconnecting the battery yet?
deported is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
96e39 is an unknown quantity at this point
To Deported ,

Thanks for the advice , for some reason i can not get back onto the site so had to reregister.

The reboot seemed to make it alot better, i am driving to essex from Bham on tuesday so we will see if it made a difference, sorry for the delay i have been on holiday.

Thanks again
96e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2002 Porsche C4S
Photos:
CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
I've had some problems with the auto downshift before. Just before I come to a stop, when slowing down, the gear downshifts abruptly and you can feel a jerk. It's like a delayed downshift. It happens only once in a while, and when it does, it goes on for the entire drive until I switch off the engine. On the next startup, the problem would be gone until it decides to come back again some other time.

At first I thought it was the first signs of a transmission problem...big $$$.
Then I thought...if it doesn't happen all the time, and especially after restarting the engine the problem's gone, it may be something to do with a software glitch.

I checked with BMW on software updates and service bulletins...nothing for my year and model. Then I got some advice from some people about taking time to let the computer system loadup when starting up the engine, and letting it shutdown when cutting off the engine...just like you would your PC.

When you insert the key into the ignition switch...wait and listen to the sound of the system loading...maybe 10 secs...then turn the key to start.
When you turn the key to cut off the engine...wait and listen to the sound of the system shutting down...then remove the key.

I don't know how far this is true, but it makes sense.
Most of all...miraculously, I have not had the problem eversince!
Now, no matter how much in a hurry I am, I would go thru' the start and shutdown ritual. It could be a pain sometimes though...

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)