E39 Auto Gearbox Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
topgeartom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi. I am new here, but thought i would ask for your help, as i expect there will be one or two experts arround.

I have a UK car (i am British myself) it is a 1997 535i with the auto steptronic transmisson. We have had it for roughly 3 years now, and in that time nothing has ever gone wrong, nothing. Unfortuenately that record was broken yesterday. I had driven the car about 40 miles (ironicly to go look at a Jag xkr i am looking to buy) and we were on the way back when we stopped at a mcdonalds - when parking i noticed a slight wining noise that hadnt been there before. When i came to reverse back out again, everything was fine, but the noise was stil there, it went into reverse fine and then D. The car pulled away as normal, but after roughly 200 meters, when going round a junction, the car started to loose forward motion, and then just gradually lost all forward drive. The engine runs fine, reverse gear is fine, but for some reason there is no forward gears at all - it just acts as if in neutral and makes the whining noise when revved. The AA mechanic sasy discovered that it was not the linkage between the shifter and the gearbox, because he could clearly see it moving when a gear was selected.

I am have no idea what it could be, or what to do with the car (i.e. take it to a BMW dealer or just try and get it fixed cheaper elsewhere - as it may be just a minor defect)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:45 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
topgeartom

Do you have lights display on the shifter. Red P.R.N etc. when shifting do you get a display on both the dash and the shifter? any of these doen n't light up. I.e when in drive do you see the light of the letter D ? let me know
#3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 04:17 AM
n00b

topgeartom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Yes, all the lights work correctly both by the gearlever and on the dash - when you it into steptronic, it also correctly displayes the gear you have selected but there just isnt any drive.

hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)