E39 Antilock Control Module Problem =( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tyhran is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E39 Antilock Control Module Problem =(

noob here. my ABS control module is messed up and is ruining everything! the shop said that its even affecting my tranny...i own a 2001 525i...asked the dealer for price and it is $2600 for cars with stability control, and $700 for cars w/o.
-what are my options?
-what do i do!?
-any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:45 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
What exactly is it doing?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

for starters... i need to ask if your car is equipped with stability control.

ABS light ON?... why do u say your ABS is giving you probs?

messing up your tranny..? i dont think so. Your shop isn't advising you correctly.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
if its an 01 525i in the USA then it has traction control. It absolutely can be affecting the transmission. The ABS module is connected to the engine and transmission modules by the CAN bus. If the module is shorting out it can pull the can bus down and create problems with the engine and the transmission electronics. it can put the transmission in to failsafe and you will only have 3rd gear. The price does seem a bit high tho. you may want to shop around a little. i think you should be able to get it done for under $1500.
where are you located?

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yes my car has DSC, ABS light is not on, nd im in Brooklyn, NY
after my car heats up the tranny light comes on and the gears downshift nd upshift rough, not smoooth as they usually do. then if i turn my car off, nd then on, the tranny works fine for another ten minutes. oh and my battery constantly dies... =/
#6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Maybe the tranny fluid needs changing. Might wanna check the alternator.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
well, if u want to see if their diagnosis is correct just disconnect the DSC module for a few days and see if your problems go away. (Of course keep in mind that DSC will be disabled) If so then they were right, if not then take it back to them and ask them to recheck it.

DT

#8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
5th Gear Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhran View Post
yes my car has DSC, ABS light is not on, nd im in Brooklyn, NY
after my car heats up the tranny light comes on and the gears downshift nd upshift rough, not smoooth as they usually do. then if i turn my car off, nd then on, the tranny works fine for another ten minutes. oh and my battery constantly dies... =/
if that was my car, given what has been said... I would have someone pull up the codes for both ABS & tranny, and engine, and see what the computer diagnostics say; and go from there...

in the absence of that... I will take my chances on the rear ABS sensors.

REASON: If you factor out the interplay of parts common to ABS and DSC, you'll find that the DSC(traction control) gets it's reference signals from the rear ABS module. From there go upstream - there's no point in wasting $xxxx when the culprit is a $35.- part
#9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
n00b

pj.melendez is on a distinguished road
Your E39 may have the Bosch 5.7 ABS module; give a call to the guys at Circuit Solutions,(1-888-892-0764) they will repair your for about $300, to remove it is very simple 4 bolts.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE, horrible news, i officially have the worst of luck...
-i purchased a used control module with a warranty ($570)
-i purchased a brand new radiator ($220)
-i gave all the parts to my local repair shop and they took a day to fix it ($120 for service)
-i picked up my car, the repairsman checked the car again, even diagnosted it, seemed fine
-the little plastic screw broke, so my coolant leaked.
-i spent hours looking for one since the BMW dealership was closed, found one, fixed that problem.
-i clean my whole car, took me hours, lastly i go to the car wash....ready to go out on my car that i have missed for two weeks.
-i come out of the car wash and THE BRAKES DON'T WORK...they were really hard to press on, and i barely stopped.
-i Shut off my engine, and turned it back on, the brakes started working, but service engine light came on and my car started rattling...
-then my car wouldnt accelerate as fast as it used to...barely kept up with traffic on my way home.
WTF IS HAPPENING =( im so upset i dont know what to do anymore...is it my spark plugs?then what about the brakes!?
#11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 PM
5th Gear Member

BRAKES: have much less stopping ability when wet... try them again once they are dry. If they still feel "different" from the old setup... then something is wrong with the used module... or the install.

SERVICE LIGHT ON: have you car scanned for codes before you jump to any conclusions...

possibly, you may have "wet" damaged something while in the wash :-(

*stay kewl...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)