BMW Werkz banner

E39 Air Vents And Temp Control

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Grand 
#1 ·
I've read the user manual and still have a few questions about the Air Con control in my E39. I know the seperate temp setting controls the driver's side and passenger's side individually, but I would expect the air temp will also change on the appropriate door's air vent outlet.

For example, if I change the temp to 25c on the driver's side, only the driver's side air vent at the centre will change temp, not the air vent on the driver's door. Or there is something wrong with my a/c ?

Since you can change the temp using the indivudal temp settings, then what is the main use for the temp dial in the middle? It seems overrides the individual temp setting ?

In the manual it mentioned something about Draft Free ventilation, exactly what is meant by Draft Free ?

Sorry for asking so many questions ...

#2 ·
Originally posted by SKT174@Apr 7 2005, 08:22 AM
I've read the user manual and still have a few questions about the Air Con control in my E39. I know the seperate temp setting controls the driver's side and passenger's side individually, but I would expect the air temp will also change on the appropriate door's air vent outlet.

For example, if I change the temp to 25c on the driver's side, only the driver's side air vent at the centre will change temp, not the air vent on the driver's door. Or there is something wrong with my a/c ?

Since you can change the temp using the indivudal temp settings, then what is the main use for the temp dial in the middle? It seems overrides the individual temp setting ?

In the manual it mentioned something about Draft Free ventilation, exactly what is meant by Draft Free ?

[snapback]327373[/snapback]​
bump. I pm-ed bill, he should be in to help you soon... i dont have a e39... so i cant help.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Torque+Apr 8 2005, 01:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque @ Apr 8 2005, 01:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SKT174@Apr 7 2005, 08:22 AM
I've read the user manual and still have a few questions about the Air Con control in my E39.  I know the seperate temp setting controls the driver's side and passenger's side individually, but I would expect the air temp will also change on the appropriate door's air vent outlet. 

For example, if I change the temp to 25c on the driver's side, only the driver's side air vent at the centre will change temp, not the air vent on the driver's door.  Or there is something wrong with my a/c ?

Since you can change the temp using the indivudal temp settings, then what is the main use for the temp dial in the middle?  It seems overrides the individual temp setting ?

[snapback]327373[/snapback]​
bump. I pm-ed bill, he should be in to help you soon... i dont have a e39... so i cant help.
[snapback]328174[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Torque thanks bud for the reminder and I’ll be reviewing with you the basics of climate control system setting to clarify the following:

1. We know unlimited heat can be achieved at setting the temp at 90 while 60 gets full cool Air…silly I know!
2. Auto button: controls the regulation of the interior temp. Automatically……nothing new here either but this happens through dash, door, and rear outputs.
3. Selecting any other choice (floor/dash/windshield buttons) will override the automatic setting…green light goes out!
4. Plus/minus: control air flow but remember it is constant when the Auto button is selected until a preset interior temp is reached….interior temp sensors feed back mechanism.
5. Press the minus after the last bar on the display will turn both heating/Ac off….simple enough too.
6. Recirculation button with 2 green little lights: when the right side green light is on, no outside air is allowed into the interior i.e getting stuck at NYC Lincoln Tunnel …too much fumes…….left side light on? Your system switches between the outside world and circulation….like being out of the tunnel.
7. DRAFT-FREE VENTILATION:
To me these are too big of words to describe a simple mechanism especially if we know what they mean by driving a car under draft-free conditions; to do so all what you have to do is:

A. Control the rate of Air Flow- dials to the sides of dash outputs
B. Control the direction of Air Flow-fins in the output itself
C. Control/trim/adjust, if you wish the intensity of either the hot and/or the cold air; this is simply done by the in dash middle rotary (dial located between the two dash outputs; blue gets the cold air colder and when turned into red makes the hot air hotter; now you think of in between settings) again for this one think trimming/intensity. A good example is when you turn it to the red while the AC is on 60 or conversely try to turn it to blue with temp at 90. TRY IT

I hope this LONG reply clarifies some issues
Regards
billb

#7 ·
When the A/C is on AUTO, no air comes from the floor, only from the center console and door.

When I set the down arrow (floor button), only a little air comes to the floor, even with the fan set to max, and no air in the center console.

When I set all 3 arrow buttons, the center console gets all the air, the floor gets no air.

any ideas?

#8 ·
Air cond

Hi, pals,sorry to hijack the thread a bit. When I start my E39, the air cond fan seems to start at a pre-determined level and the preset level is too strong for me. Would like it to start at about 2 or 3 bar. How do I go about it to reset this thingy?:)

#9 ·
Grand said:
Hi, pals,sorry to hijack the thread a bit. When I start my E39, the air cond fan seems to start at a pre-determined level and the preset level is too strong for me. Would like it to start at about 2 or 3 bar. How do I go about it to reset this thingy?:)
Try this:
Adjust all the settings, including seats, mirrors, radio stations, AC settings, etc. to your preference.
Then use the memory setting to save as you would your seat and mirror settings.
It should save all your settings the next time you start the car.
If it doesn't work the first time, try it again.

#10 ·
air cond

Thanks for the reply, CosmosBlack. My E39 doesn't come with electric seat. No memory settings. Wondering where is the memory settings for the air cond? (still new with this E39 which I acquired 1 month ago)

Since you mentioned the memory settings for the radio station as well, that i know how to do. But a similar problem arises when I start the radio, the volume would automatically start at a very high volume. Have to quickly adjust the volume knob otherwise my ear drum would be in danger of bursting;) . Any idea how to set the volume of the radio at a more acceptable level whenever I switch it on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.