E39 540i 1999 ecu problems. won't start
My bro's e39 has developed some problems.
This is what we have worked out so far,
- Car will not start
- scanned for fault codes using a 'memoscan' chinese obdII scanner
- ecu communicates. no DTS codes, no general codes. According to ecu there is nothing wrong. no fault codes registered
- the scanner has a live data function. according to that all systems go. maf reads airflow on starter, reading ignition advance on operation of starter, reading coolant temp. Fuel sys 1 and sys 2 in open loop. appears all systems go
- no spark
- no operation of fuel pump/no fuel pressure on starter operation. pump tests ok
- After many attempts to start we got 1 fault code related to thermostat. Cleared it and all ok. no repeat. That at least proves the system is functioning... but no start?
any ideas anyone? We are thinking the ecu is toast but the fact that it comminicates ok with the scanner, has no fault codes and registers readings from all systems under live data is making me think that the ecu might be ok and something else is wrong?
all help appreciated. thanks