Hi, please bear with me as I'm a newbie and would like to ask your advice on a problem I have with my E39 that I have recently purchased.
Firstly I do know that it was previously involved in a front end collision (no damage to chassis and panels replaced).
I'll try to explain the problem best I can.
Known permanent faults with car.
1. EBS switch doesn't appear to work (light doesn't illuminate when switch is pressed)
2. Parking sensors don't work
Driving along, everything OK, all other electrics working fine (speedometer, odometer, vacuum, temp, av. mpg, av. mph, cruise control etc.) with no warning lights on dash.
The following happens only after I have to "jab" on the brakes (not hard braking just a quick "jab", sometimes it happens at the junction at the end of my road (200 yards), other times when leaving a motorway at 100-200 miles away from home!
Firstly the ABS "seems" to operate, I hear what I can only describe as a metallic springy "boing boing" sound and I can feel it through the brake pedal although the brakes don't lock and the car reduces speed smoothly with no juddering (the pads are OK and there is only slight wear on the discs).
Shortly afterwards (not immediately but within 1-2 mins) the EBS and anti-lock lights come on.
Then shortly afterwards on the majority of occasions (but not always)
1. The speedometer GRADUALY falls to zero.
2. The vacuum gauge swings across to the left (50+mpg)
3. The fuel gauge falls when accelerating or rises when braking.
4. The odometer and mileage trip don't work.
5. The fuel trip (mileage left) goes up and down the same as the fuel gauge (reduces when accelerating, increases when braking).
6. The temp gauge reads -5 deg C
7. The av. mpg & mph don't work, they both permanently show single figures for both (not correct) but I believe that this is due to the above problems.
At the moment I'm using a sat nav for my speedo and apart from the above the car runs fine. The noise "boing boing" from the brakes only seems to occur prior to the onset of the above, afterwards all is fine.
Lastly after I have stopped, locked up, and then restarted the car, everything works again.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks, Andy