E39 2000 525i Auto - No Reverse/Reverse Gear does not engage. Please Help!. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Squibworth is on a distinguished road
Exclamation E39 2000 525i Auto - No Reverse/Reverse Gear does not engage. Please Help!.

Folks,

I am wondering if I can seek some advice (I have already searched and come across similar problems - but still hoping for some clarity) and diagnostic value.

After a week of my car being parked on the drive and not driven (because I was away on business in Europe), I came back yesterday and had the car cleaned etc ready for an evening out.

After driving for about 3 hours in the evening, I first noticed that the 'Reverse Gear' did not engage (but assumed I had not pressed the brake pedal hard enough) for the gear to engage - so i thought nothing of it and proceeded with the evening out. Around 10pm last nite, it was confirmed when I tried to back the car out that the reverse gear fails to engage and the engine just 'revs'.

All the others, P, N, D, 1, 2 engage fine.. I took the car home and again this morning (on the drive) tried to engage the 'R' but nothing happens, no shift, no 'jerk' (to indicate the car had engaged) - absolute nada.

I have been told this could be due to potentially Low Auto Gearbox Oil (but I assume this was 'sealed' for life by BMW) or also a Mechatronics Valve Body Fault?? The car was parked for a week in the cold weather..

Worst case scenario - i have been told that this could be the transmition which is ont he way out, something about a Reversing Drum?

Is the transmission knackered? Or could this just be a Automatic Fluid/Filter Issue? Broken Valve?

Money is really tight at the moment and I am hoping this sounds worse than it actually is..

Any advice from others who have experienced this/remedies/diagnostic would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You.
Squibworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
fig
n00b

Car: Supercharged 540
Photos:
fig is on a distinguished road
e39 trans

Sorry to say that your tranny is probably going to need a rebuild.

I have a 2000 e39 (540) with the steptronic and experienced exactly what you did - I even drove it around for 2 days being careful not to end up anywhere that I had to back out from and couldn't just roll out. I drove to my mechanic and he found several issues with the trans. I had a full rebuild done.
fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz.

It may be a failied/failing transmission. What I'd suggest is find a specialst auto transmission shop and get them to look at it. It might be that something has found its way into a critical place and a simple fluid flush, new filter and fluid may fix it, or not.
The sealed for life term refers to the life of the gear box, not the car. I will get my ATF changed every 40,000 - 60,000 kms depending on the conditions, and the first time I did it, there were a number of seemingly unrelated issues resolved by the process.

Start there, it might not give you a long term fix, but its not likely to make it any worse.

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)