E39 1999 540I Check LowBeam Lamps - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:03 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beachbumm is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

Just bought a 1999 E39 540I. The "Check LowBeam Lamps" message keeps coming on even though the low beams are working perfectly. It occurs when you start the engine, then eventually goes out which is normal.

When I bought the vehicle a fog lamp was out (no check fog lamp message was on though), but the Check LowBeam message was on. The fog lamp was replaced, but the LOWBEAM check was still on?

Any ideas, I am confused?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:00 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
One reason could be:
the previuos owner upgraded the headlights...

check the light bulbs and clean contacs

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Neutral Member

dagoo98 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the previous owner put xenons in the car and it came halogens you will get this message because the computer does not recognize the signal given off by the xenons. If this is the case, I know some friends of mine purchased a device from Radioshack that gives off the same signal as halogen bulbs and wired it to the sensor.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Question

Folks,

Thanks for initial guidence..

The dealer did not specify whether or not the xenons were the originals or they were an add-on.. I know this was an option in 1999.

Is there any way to tell if there was an upgrade or original? I would think that this would have been taken care of it they were factory installed right?

Thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Do you have xenons right now? Do you have the angel eyes on it?

The low beam headlight looks kinda of dark in the middle and the light itself is vey bright (whitish in color, not yellow)... The corner (parking lights), are they amber or clear lenses?

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yes I do have Xenons right now. They are a very bright, whitish blue light. I talked with the dealer and he said they were not an add-on. They were an original option from the factory. The side lights are yellow/amber, and not white.

His theory on the Check LOWBEAM light coming on, is that it is a warning that one of the lamps is going to be burning out. A precursor if you will.

Again, the light does not stay on all the time. It comes on when the car is started, then fades away after about 5-10 seconds.. When the vehicle is turned off, the statement comes back on then fades...

Again, everyone thanks for all your help..
#7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:26 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Was this a BMW dealer???

I don't believe that's the case... a lamp about to burn out??? come on!

The BMW dealer can reset your computer assuming there is nothing wrong with your headlights. they'll probably charge you $100 just to hook it up to the computer or you can just drive the car like that. I get the same message on mine but that's because I did the upgrade...

LOS
#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Neutral Member

dagoo98 is an unknown quantity at this point
He is just feeding you an excuse. The sensors are not advanced enoguh to tell you the remaining time on a bulb. It is very simple, either it gets the signal for it doesn't. This is precisely why that radioshack device works. I would investigate under the hood myself and look at the wiring for the headlights. If it was added on you will probably see black tape on the wiring and maybe even some wires joined. Also, maybe you can go to another BMW dealer and and give them your VIN and find out what options the car came with.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Question

Guys,

Sorry it took a while to get back on here.. Have been away.. Took a look under the hood, and there is no tape, or wires tied together. There are two wires coming out of the assembly about 6 long. These two wires do a male / female connection at the end of the 6 inches of wire.. Looks like factory install..

Hence, I took out the the assembly that contains the bulb. The wires go up through the assy, and connect into the bulb, which is a long white light, connected to a plastic unit. This light then sits on top of the holder that connects or seats into the holder once turned for a secure fit... The kicker is that the light bulb assy (light with plastic) just kind of sits on the holder that goes into and gets seated.. A real weird set-up..

So what you have is the long white light attached to a plastic holder (one unit) that sits on the assembly that turns clockwise to seat the whole unit. The light unit does not seat very well, as I had to literally hold the two wires taunt, so the the unit could be turned in.. It appears the wrong light is in the holder, but it also appears that there is no where for a light assembly to really seat itself on the holder assembly.. Confused, so am I..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)