e34 tds starting issues (with pic) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
abz2005 is on a distinguished road
e34 tds starting issues (with pic)

hiya guys

got a little problem which is more annoying than anything, ive only had this car 3 weeks and its always had this problem

from cold its a pain to start, it will eventually fire after turning the ignition lights on waiting for the glow plug light to go out doing this 3 or 4 times then itll fire

when warm i dont have to do this but even still it takes a few turns of the engine before it will fire

ive already flattened the battery trying to start it, ive read about air leaks, fitting non return valves, leak off pipes etc, but never owning a diesel im a little stuck, im not a mechanic by any means but willing to give anything a try as long as it requires basic tools

ive also heard about blanking off the egr valve will this cause any long term effects?

anyway here are some pictures so if people could explain where i need to be looking

i also have a couple more questions regarding other things around the car which i will post in a new thread

any help will be greatfully appreciated
abz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
MADDOUG is on a distinguished road
Hi,yes thats the egr valve,a 2p bit is the best fit and give the pipe a good shove and you will have just enough room to get it in.Next pic is the fuel filter,it has a small heater device built into it and also a pressure sensor.The clear pipe takes diesel from filter to pump,the crap on it has come from the egr valve,presuming the egr is not stuck open you can take the rubber pipe from it and block the end of rubber pipe with a small bolt,this will stop it operating until you get 2p bit in,check that clear pipe for leaks/cracks around the area as the pump looks as if it is wet with diesel,notice it does not have the dust and rubbish stuck to it as the egr and pipes have.Next pic,yes they are the leakoffs.Warm will take a bit of cranking to fire as the lift pump does not run,it runs on cold start when glowplugs on but not on warm engine turning over,severity of cranking depends on length of time engine stopped,these injector pumps run hot and get vapour lock,more a pain in the arse than anything else really.Now cold starts it should go after 2 goes on glowplugs presuming at least 4 off them work it will be instant,if not then check that the lift pump runs and check for possible blocked filter and check that clear pipe for leaks,these engines do not like air in system and will run rough/surge and do all manner of things even giving symptoms like duff injectors,the lift pump has a 'o' ring that can fail and let air in system at 1/4 tank level so keep tank topped up until you rule out other causes.I think getting the battery drop tested (amps) is a good idea,these batterys are huge and even when showing under full charge say 12.40 volts will start the car due to their size as they still carry enough amps to turn engine over,a smaller battery in a small car would be dead and not operate.From the symptoms you describe I would guess that the lift pump is playing up.Pull the boot carpet up and with ignition on you should hear it buzzing (cold start/glowplugs on)
MADDOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
abz2005 is on a distinguished road
thanks maddoug will give what you said a try and will let you know how i get on
abz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)