E34 sal. manual. cooling system leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
powerfulheart is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E34 sal. manual. cooling system leak

Hya! I finally managed to bleed my E34(5.25 1991-1996) After many attempts.The thermostat is now opening-pressure gauge OK,Heaters working-Ticking over nicely.Sadly I have discovered a leak which appears to be coming from the expansion platic tank attached to the side of the radiator.Can I seperate the expansion tank from the radiator or is there anyway of repairing the leak etc-Hope you can help-Powerfulheart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

i sorry to hear that... unfortunately, air pockets in bimmers are hard to bleed sometimes. Personally, i squeeze the hoses a few times during the bleedin process. It helps to purge the air out.

Your radiator must have the integrated reservoir. I'm not sure if you can separate radiator from the expansion tank. But the easiest way to know is: call your local dealer and ask if just the expansion reservoir is available as a part. If yes, then there's your answer.

From experience, the leak mostly occurs from the seal of you coolant level sensor(located underneath the reservoir). Have a look-see. It just might be that an o-ring seal is all you need :-)
#3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 AM
n00b

burtv is on a distinguished road
I had a really hard time bleeding the tank on my 91 525i. When the engine was cool I filled the coolant tank to the cold level mark, removed the bleeder screw (located next to the radiator cap) then removed the upper radiator hose from the radiator leaving the other connected to the thermostat housing. With the help from a friend we then poured coolant into the hose (more than a gallon and probably because the radiator was replaced with a new one and and was completely empty). we kept pouring coolant in there until it was full. Be careful because if you are holding the hose higher than the neck on the radiator, coolant will start coming out at the neck. When full re-connect the hose to the radiator and then start the engine without the radiator cap or bleeder screw in the radiator. Very quickly the coolant will begin to come out of the bleeder screw. At that point I carefully put the bleeder screw back into the radiator and screwed it down tight being careful to not screw in to tight and break it. Then I watched the coolant flow into the recovery tank through the upper hole between the radiator and the coolant tank. I then turned off the engine, let it cool and filled the tank to the proper coolant level. Then with the radiator cap on, start the engine and let it pressurize and reach the proper temperature and then examine for any leaks and your done (unless you have any leaks).
#4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 AM
n00b

brusselsfan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have a 1995 E34 530i V8 and want to drain then coolant following the failure of the auxiliary hotwater pump....the stupid plastic input connection just broke off...a common problem it appears
I have searched far and wide for a bleed screw of some description but so far nada!!!
All help and suggestions would be most welcome
Steve in Brussels Belgium &/or Danville CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)